Will images created with AI replace photography as we know it?

I agree with your statement, but I don't confuse AI for denoise, masks, sharpening and the like, as these are tools that improve the image and not create the image. They are akin (mostly) to what a master developer would have done in a wet darkroom. I don't want to re-open the discussion on what digital tools do and would Ansel Adams have used them since this is an AI thread.

BTW, I think that the above photo is a P40 Hawk/Warhawk/Tomahawk in pseudo Flying Tiger paint. The hump over the engine nacelle helps to identify it. Also, the shark mouth was something that the AVG started to use in China around 1940 while flying for the Nationalist Chinese and General Chiang Kai Shek.

I agree with your statement, but I don't confuse AI for denoise, masks, sharpening and the like, as these are tools that improve the image and not create the image. They are akin (mostly) to what a master developer would have done in a wet darkroom. I don't want to re-open the discussion on what digital tools do and would Ansel Adams have used them since this is an AI thread.

BTW, I think that the above photo is a P40 Hawk/Warhawk/Tomahawk in pseudo Flying Tiger paint. The hump over the engine nacelle helps to identify it. Also, the shark mouth was something that the AVG started to use in China around 1940 while flying for the Nationalist Chinese and General Chiang Kai Shek.
Well said about improving and not creating. I like that. Thanks for the heads up on the plane. I guess I have to open encyclopedia and do some studying. :) Watched a documentary on the Battle of Britain and I assumed it was a Spitfire.

I read all of Ansel's books and spent a lot of time dodging and burning. About 10 years ago in Toronto we seen his show. I walked up to a large poster sized print of Moonrise over Hernandez. I asked if the would take a cheque. They told us it was priceless. When we were in Santa Fe we drove to Hernandez and found the spot where he took the shot. I'm a bit of a fan.

Of course it will substitute some content. But people still have hobbies, people want memories, and people want to document stuff.

Many of us value the process, not the outcome.

Here's mine using Image Creator...and a little editorial comment.

_13b56306-04e7-46d4-b8ac-65c35bb398c2.jpg

No I don't think so. It's a tool that should be used sensibly. I've recently been scanning some slides getting on for 50 years old and they have not faired well with time. This is where some AI has come in real handy to recover the damage. I've never used sky replacemenrt as yet. It depends on are you trying to reproduced what you saw and took an image of or tuning it into an artistic result.

I dearly hope not but I think it will have a severe impact on the art.

AI-generated images will explode, that's for sure. A friend sent me one he found on FB showing Rembrandt and Mona Lisa's old "photograph" this morning. However, will they be "photographs" is another question that I explored in a three-part article? The main article separates the qualities of photographs and contrasts them with the AI-imagery. Also important is the distinction between the "creation" and "modification" or editing of images. The core idea is "light" being the sine qua non in "photos" "graphos."

The other two articles summarize my conversations with chatbots on this issue. Surprisingly, AI chatbots may be more willing to call a spade, a spade. I would like to hear your thoughts here or as comments on the article which may benefit other visitors.

I saw the other day some real pictures edited using AI (no details were given about what was changed) and what I saw were pictures only comparable to heavy photoshopped pictures. A local photographer making a living would have hard time trying to replicate something like those pictures in his studio. So I could not stop thinking that AI could potentially give a advantages to those that are not good photographers but good using a PC. And that's sad.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back