Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
It has been a few months since we've spotted a sparrowhawk in the garden so I was very happy to see this juvenile yesterday. I'd only just setup the mossy log perch as well which I'd found down our local brook earlier in the day. I'm not sure if it's male or female so if you think you know please do tell :) Unfortunately I had to shoot this through a closed window which has definitely taken away some of the detail.

Sparrowhawk-483A0291-2048px.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 400

Gorgeous bird portrait. I don't see any effect of the window glass.

Jealous now - living where we do we are lucky to see starlings / sparrows. One day ;-)

Nice shot, even through the window. I'm in the US, but I have a copy of the Collins Bird Guide. I don't think you can tell gender in juveniles, except perhaps by size. Females are larger in most raptors, but it varies with species and I have zero experience with this one.

• Admin
Jealous now - living where we do we are lucky to see starlings / sparrows. One day ;-)
We were overrun with starlings a few weeks back, they eat everything in seconds and bully the little birds. I made it more difficult for them to get to the feeders and they soon got the message.

• Admin
Nice shot, even through the window. I'm in the US, but I have a copy of the Collins Bird Guide. I don't think you can tell gender in juveniles, except perhaps by size. Females are larger in most raptors, but it varies with species and I have zero experience with this one.
I also posted it into a bird id group and most say it's hard to tel the gender but believe it to be female. Female sparrowhawks are larger than the males and can take larger prey like pigeons when they are fully grown. The males have to make do with tit bits :)

Love this Tim! Great shot, even through a window!

• Admin
Love this Tim! Great shot, even through a window!
Thank you very much Hali :) Sometimes I can sneak the window open without spooking them but I'll always shoot through first just to make sure I've got a shot. This time they didn't hang around long enough for me to try.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back