PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a visit (in 2022) to Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe LrC/ PS with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Lacock Abbey by clicking Here, Lacock Village Here and William Henry Fox Talbot Here.

Phil and Karen

(Please note, we're away after today for a few days - exploring the wilderness of North Yorkshire in 'Frank' :cool: - so we will be unable to reply to any feedback until after we return).

1. Lacock Abbey was officially founded on 16 April 1232 by Ela, Countess of Salisbury, one of the most powerful women of the Middle Ages.

RF-S-L1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

2. As part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, ordered by King Henry VIII after his break with the Roman Catholic Church in 1533, Lacock was eventually shut down in 1539 after 300 years as a religious institution.

RF-S-L2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. The abbey was bought by William Sharington in 1540. He transformed the abbey buildings from a convent to a country house. In September 1574, Queen Elizabeth I visited Lacock and stayed in the abbey.

RF-S-L3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

4. William Henry Fox Talbot inherited Lacock from his father in 1800 (when he was just 5 months old!). He grew up to become a pioneering scientist, keen mathematician - and Lacock's most famous resident.

RF-S-L4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. William Henry Fox Talbot invented the photographic negative. In 1835 he captured the first surviving photographic negative in this very window. (We wonder if he suspected where it would all lead!). The small museum at Lacock Abbey celebrates his achievements and the world of photography.

RF-S-L5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400

6. Matilda Talbot inherited Lacock in 1916 and in 1944 she gave Lacock to the National Trust. Lacock Abbey and Village have appeared in various movies and TV productions, including Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, Wolf Hall, The Hollow Crown, His Dark Materials and Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald.

RF-S-L6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

(Sources: National Trust, Wikipedia).

Last edited:

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Lacock Abbey by clicking Here, Lacock Village by clicking Here and William Henry Fox Talbot by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

(Please note, we're away after today for a few days - exploring the wilderness of North Yorkshire in 'Frank' :cool: - so we will be unable to reply to any feedback until after we return).

1. Lacock Abbey was officially founded on 16 April 1232 by Ela, Countess of Salisbury, one of the most powerful women of the Middle Ages.

View attachment 21672

2. As part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, ordered by King Henry VIII after his break with the Roman Catholic Church in 1533, Lacock was eventually shut down in 1539 after 300 years as a religious institution.

View attachment 21673

3. The abbey was bought by William Sharington in 1540. He transformed the abbey buildings from a convent to a country house. In September 1574, Queen Elizabeth I visited Lacock and stayed in the abbey.

View attachment 21674

4. William Henry Fox Talbot inherited Lacock from his father in 1800 (when he was just 5 months old!). He grew up to become a pioneering scientist, keen mathematician - and Lacock's most famous resident.

View attachment 21675

5. William Henry Fox Talbot invented the photographic negative. In 1835 he captured the first surviving photographic negative in this very window. (We wonder if he suspected where it would all lead!). The small museum at Lacock Abbey celebrates his achievements and the world of photography.

View attachment 21676

6. Matilda Talbot inherited Lacock in 1916 and in 1944 she gave Lacock to the National Trust. Lacock Abbey and Village have appeared in various movies and TV productions, including Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, Wolf Hall, The Hollow Crown, His Dark Materials and Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald.

View attachment 21677

Awesome Phil, a great set of photos and an excellent history lesson. Thanks for sharing.

If you use Lightroom or any other Software with a denoise function, I like to see the first pic again. just to show the difference.

If you use Lightroom or any other Software with a denoise function, I like to see the first pic again. just to show the difference.
Hi Michael,

As far as I can recall, my original workflow for shot #1 was: Import raw file into LrC -> raw via plug-in -> DxO PhotoLab Elite (basic edit including - DeepPrime NR, lens/ colour rendering and ViewPoint) -> DNG -> LrC (minor adjustments) -> TIFF -> Photoshop (various bits of 'healing') -> TIFF -> LrC (Export).

Below is the original file as processed in LrC with basic tone adjustments only and: 1. No NR, 2. LrC Denoise (@ 35), 3. Topaz Labs Photo AI - raw file sent via plug-in ('AutoPilot' AI settings accepted - which was NR only - though I usually manually adjust things), 4. Topaz Labs DeNoise AI sent via 'Edit in' as TIFF (Standard Model used - which also applied a small amount of sharpening) and 5. a cropped comparison (1-4).

Make of them what you will, but bear in mind my original edit had a whole lot of other stuff thrown at it in addition to NR... :)

Phil

1. No NR...

RF-S-LC-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

2. With LrC Denoise...

RF-S-LC-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

3. With Topaz Labs Photo AI...

RF-S-LC-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

4. With Topaz Labs DeNoise AI...

RF-S-LC-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

1-4 cropped...

RF-S-LC-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

Last edited:

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Lacock Abbey by clicking Here, Lacock Village by clicking Here and William Henry Fox Talbot by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

View attachment 21672

View attachment 21673

View attachment 21674

View attachment 21675

View attachment 21676

View attachment 21677

Very interesting location presented with very nicely done photographs.

Very interesting location presented with very nicely done photographs.
Hi Cemal,

Cheers - much appreciated!

The Abbey section, house interior, gardens and adjacent village were each fascinating places in their own right, we could have spent a lot more time there - and will almost certainly be returning at some point. (The same day we also fitted in a visit to Avebury Manor, Gardens and the adjacent henge and stone circles).

Phil

Last edited:

Phil and Karen

View attachment 21672

View attachment 21673

View attachment 21674

View attachment 21675

View attachment 21676

View attachment 21677

Hey, Phil & Karen,

These pics took me back to our visit to Lacock back in 2006. We also had a good visit and then enjoyed some Morris Dancers in the village. What a great walk down 'Memory Lane'! Thanks!

PS This is not the first time you have given us such a treat, in fact, you often post images from places throughout the UK that my husband & I have visited sometime in the last 50 years. Each time you unknowingly bring us the joy of remembering. Much appreciated!

Hey, Phil & Karen,

These pics took me back to our visit to Lacock back in 2006. We also had a good visit and then enjoyed some Morris Dancers in the village. What a great walk down 'Memory Lane'! Thanks!

PS This is not the first time you have given us such a treat, in fact, you often post images from places throughout the UK that my husband & I have visited sometime in the last 50 years. Each time you unknowingly bring us the joy of remembering. Much appreciated!
Hi Cathy,

What a wonderful post to return home to - reading your very kind and heartwarming comments makes it all worthwhile!

Thank you - very much appreciated!

P&K

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back