Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
City/State
Sydney
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Out of curiosity I took some photos with an R6 and RF 24-105mm f.4L lens. With a cheap Hoya UV filter on, and without, no other variables. I can see hardly any difference when looking at full zoom! Can you tell which is which here? I'm a bit rough with my camera gear so for me it justifies using a filter for protection

_RR_5141.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600
_RR_5142.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600
_RR_5139.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5140.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5139.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5142.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600
_RR_5141.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600
_RR_5142.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 1600
_RR_5139.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5140.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5137.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500
_RR_5138.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 76.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500

Well, all these photos were taken indoor, you hardly have any UV anyway. Try shooting a couple of photos at bright daylight, probably pointing towards the sun.

Great set of comparisons. I was actually thinking about this two days ago. Maybe it seems that, for example, 5142 (compared to 5141) has no filter because it's a little lighter and that might be the case for each of 1st in the sets, but, hmmm, quite close.

Even more that being able to tell if a filter is on or off in a direct comparison, my question is if anyone could even tell if they were only looking at filtered shots?

Like, “Look at that awful picture lacking contrast. Clearly they used a protective filter! Amateurs.” I would say 99% of the time one cannot tell.

The only time I’ve run into a filter issue is direct light. Specifically, birthday candles. There’s a ghost reflection of the candle flame that disappears when I remove the filter. So now if I suspect I’ll be combating flare in any way, I just unscrew the filter. Easy.

The greatest debate since debates were invented. :) My opinion. While you may be able to prove in on paper if you use a high quality filter the human eye can't tell the difference. Or it would be really hard to tell the difference unless the person points has to point any flaws out. If they have to point them out then what is the difference. I have shot though thick dirty zoo glass with a filter and got surprisingly good results. Never had a single AF issue.

It's a personal thing so I'm not trying to promote either side. I used top of the line B+W filters for years and after many debates I decided to remove them. I guess I decided I was being too paranoid. I still have them around for windy beaches and other inclement weather. If I did get a new lens and did not have one that fit I'm not sure I'd spend the money as they don't give them away. I still hate cleaning the front element and was happier doing that to a filter.

The greatest debate since debates were invented. :) My opinion. While you may be able to prove in on paper if you use a high quality filter the human eye can't tell the difference. Or it would be really hard to tell the difference unless the person points has to point any flaws out. If they have to point them out then what is the difference. I have shot though thick dirty zoo glass with a filter and got surprisingly good results. Never had a single AF issue.

It's a personal thing so I'm not trying to promote either side. I used top of the line B+W filters for years and after many debates I decided to remove them. I guess I decided I was being too paranoid. I still have them around for windy beaches and other inclement weather. If I did get a new lens and did not have one that fit I'm not sure I'd spend the money as they don't give them away. I still hate cleaning the front element and was happier doing that to a filter.

I now only use Canon's own protective filters, more like a permanent lens cap rather than anything else. I used to buy Skylight or UV filters for many of my lenses for that same purpose without thinking of the filtering effects.

I don't see a difference between the two sets of shots, however there are likely situations where there may be a slight difference (direct sunlight into the lens that may cause strange reflections other than the expected flare). FWIW, I have always used filters for front element protection and have never experienced any issues. Of course, my results do not determine or predict what anyone else my experience.

This is from 2008 and with my 50D and 70-200 F4 IS and I know I had a filter on the lens back then. Thick zoo aquarium glass. These where the days before AI and we had to actually edit :)

Attachments

• _MG_0861.jpg
    _MG_0861.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 17
  • _MG_0872.jpg
    _MG_0872.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 19

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back