Front of lens protection filters. Buy cheap or expensive?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Greg

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
What is your opinion of front of lens protection filters?

In the analogue days it was easy to buy, a UV filter was sufficient and cost a few ££. Digital seems very different, very technical, can be very expensive.

Or is it all a con and we can still use cheap filters with no loss of image quality?

What do you use?

I must admit, it's a bit of a quagmire with strong arguments both for and against - yes, protect the front element; no, it adds an additional refraction surface. Nevertheless, I'm not comfortable without a filter of some sort. I suppose I fall into the "yes, protect the front element".

I use B&W MRC Nano filters. Had a friend who had a lower priced Tiffen complaining about lack of sharpness on his 100-400L. Told him to take the filter off and Voila...excellent sharpness. Put my B&W on it and there was no change in sharpness from the no filter test shots.

Anyone had any experience with Urth filters, the mulity coated ones

I've always tended to use a clear protect filter on my lenses. Especially where there is a possibility of dust in windy conditions and sand near the coast. Always purchased well known ones such as Hoya Pro 1 Digital. Also as extra safety I always use a lens hood against knocks.

Lens hood is the best protection for the front filter and having one has saved me many times. Not to mention a hood will help increase contrast and avoid flare. Unless of course when shooting in adverse weather or enviornmental conditions a protective filter should be used. Only time I ever damaged a front element in the past 30 years was when I actually had a filter on the lens.

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience with Urth filters, the mulity coated ones
The only Urth product I've used is an FD to RF adaptor (so no glass) which I use with my Canon bellows. Construction is very good and so I would hope glass quality would be good too. May be worth a punt on a protection type filter to see what you think.

Been reading an article about protection filters, not finished it yet. It encourages multi coating on both sides

Multi coated filters, on both sides, makes sense since each refracting surface represents an area for possible distortion. I would also look for the best possible glass for the same reasons. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if it's the best optical solution, but I feel that a UV/Skylight filter is cheaper to replace that a front element. Salt spray and minerals (water dripping from cave ceilings and stone overpasses/bridges) can etch glass.

The article goes into cost of front glass replacement of around £250 up. Multi double side filters start about £30.

The days of cheap filters have gone for anyone with a modern £500 + lens.

Or don't use a filter and take the risk

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back