Followers
Following
Name
David Stallard
City/State
Essex, UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I know a lot of guys shy away from companies like Panamoz because they are 'grey imports' BUT I have bought a lot from them over the years including R3, R5, as well as numerous lenses.
last Monday (B/H) I looked at upgrading my wife's Tamron to the RF100-500 to go with her R5, after much searching I ended up back at Panamoz, UK price £2939.00 Panamoz £1960.00 with free shipping and a 3 year warranty that's a saving of £979.00 AND it arrived today so 4 days - it takes longer than that to get stuff from within the UK.
After saving well over a grand on each of the cameras as well I'm afraid the greedy UK can 'do one' when it comes to Camera gear.

Last edited:
Interesting. It seems it is definitely worth while to look at grey market alternatives.

I'm just wondering how things would go if the item malfunctioned and needed service under the seller's warranty.

Let's imagine that I decide to return to the UK — I left in 1969 with no intention of staying away quite so long.

Does all of my Canon gear suddenly become 'grey market' upon my return?

Let's imagine that I decide to return to the UK — I left in 1969 with no intention of staying away quite so long.

Does all of my Canon gear suddenly become 'grey market' upon my return?
I think the term "grey market" refers to a market, a place where you purchase an item. It is "grey" when the merchant is not able to provide a manufacturers' warranty (usually because the merchant is not an authorized dealer or because the dealer is not in the proper jurisdiction). If you bought from an authorized dealer in Australia, it is not gray market. If you move, it still isn't because you could get warranty by sending it back to a service depot in Australia. After the warranty expires, it is all moot.

I have also bought from Panamoz and e-infinity with no issues, while the uk camera companies charge us so much more ( and then VAT is added) I will be buying grey market for the foreseeable future, I did have a bit of row with someone at the camerashow re we should be jailed for buying abroad as we are not paying the taxes ( I did point out the companies claim it is included) but he was adamant we were in the wrong :)

Interesting. It seems it is definitely worth while to look at grey market alternatives.

I'm just wondering how things would go if the item malfunctioned and needed service under the seller's warranty.
I do know of one racing photographer that had an issue with his camera nearly three years after buying it, took it to Canon, got it fixed (paid for it) emailed Panamoz with a copy of receipt and the money was in his account the next day - so I have no doubt they are as good as their word.

A few years back our camera gear was 60-40 grey-UK and we never had anything but good deals/ service. (It's roughly the opposite way round now).

During this time Canon UK invited me to a workshop as I was a 'good customer with an interesting range of their gear'. (I gracefully declined... :) ).

You pays your money and takes your choice - also, a shout out in the UK for HDEW Cameras.

Phil

Yes I had no issue, I had a worry about the 100-500L and Panamoz told me to send it to CPS and if there was a charge they would reimburse me, when I broke the R5 I send it to CPS and paid for the repair no issue at all, ps must stop dropping things btw.

I mostly don't buy grey as the price difference is not enough. My 1DX was grey as it was ~$1500 less than Canon proper. Still running strong after some 300k clicks in 9 years.

Yes, I have used HDew a couple of times. But as David pointed out the savings are so great that even if it didn't qualify under the warranty (and some faults might not with Canon either) you have a spare approx 30% of the price in hand to pay for it. It seems in the UK the main legitimate ones are Panamoz, HDew, Grandy's, E-Infinity and one I'd only recently come across - Gadgetward. I think all of these are reputable enough but warranty lengths vary. Plus HDew do actually have a physical shop you can go to or phone and kick the door in if you have to :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back