PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panel and Topaz Labs Sharpen AI).

You can find out more about Lowther Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. The site of Lowther Castle (a country house featuring castleated features) has been occupied by the Lowther family since 1150.

RF-S-LC1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The ‘castle’ (actually a grand hall) was commissioned by William, 1st Earl of Lonsdale in 1806.

RF-S-LC2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 125

3. In its heyday, it was said to boast a room for every day of the year.

RF-S-LC3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

4. The ‘Yellow Earl’, the 5th Earl of Lonsdale, made ‘you can’t take it with you’ into an art form, spending huge amounts of money on an extravagant life-style of truly epic proportions.

RF-S-LC4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 640

5. The castle was requisitioned during the war for ‘tank development’. It was returned to the family in 1954, but in 1957, crippling death duties forced James Lonsdale, the 7th Earl to remove the roof and and strip the Castle.

RF-S-LC5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160

6. The castle was left as an empty shell, the once pristine forecourt being used for pig pens and the previously manicured gardens turned into a timber plantation. More happily, recent developments have resulted in the castle and gardens now being managed by a Trust.

RF-S-LC6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 400

(Sources: Lowther Castle, Wikipedia)

Wonderful shots! I almost said these pictures are in ruins, but that didn't sound right. :giggle:

Wonderful shots! I almost said these pictures are in ruins, but that didn't sound right. :giggle:
:)

Just after we got there, around 500 young, excited and very loud school children poured in. If the roof had still existed, it may not have survived... :LOL:

P&K

Last edited:
Another spectacular set! BTW, why would the owner (the Earl) strip the roof upon abandoning the castle? Is that "common" in these types of structures to prevent further future use?

Another spectacular set! BTW, why would the owner (the Earl) strip the roof upon abandoning the castle? Is that "common" in these types of structures to prevent further future use?
Hi Mike,

I believe it was done as the family could not afford to pay death duty - by removing the roof the property became 'uninhabitable', which side-stepped this debt. An extreme measure, but we've seen it before elsewhere.

At the time things came to a head none of the usual suspects - The National Trust/ Local Authorities - were in a financial position to be able to take it on. The only other viable alternative was to completely demolish it.

(I don't think the British Army had done anything during their 'tank development' escapades which would have been considered an upgrade either... :cool:).

Phil

Last edited:
Awesome shots Phil and Karen. Definitely one to visit when we are next up that way.

Thanks Phil. That makes sense, though a sad solution. I imagine that the interior was probably quite luxurious and architecturally interesting, though I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Awesome shots Phil and Karen. Definitely one to visit when we are next up that way.
Hi Tim,

Cheers - appreciated!

Definitely worth a visit - the Trust are doing some great work with the hall and gardens. A fascinating venue.

P&K

Thanks Phil. That makes sense, though a sad solution. I imagine that the interior was probably quite luxurious and architecturally interesting, though I suppose we'll never know for sure.
Hi Mike,

The Trust have set up a small museum/ exhibition thingy, which includes before/ during/ after photos and historic blurb.

As you go round the hall, some rooms/ areas have image/ info boards which put a little flesh on the bones - some (RF images of) examples below.

Areas of the extensive gardens are getting a makeover - it is a haunting, but in some ways a healing place…

(We’d rather have seen in intact, but better than a pile of rubble - and, in its own way, it’s quite photogenic).

Phil

Before it all went belly-up...

RF-S-LC-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 47.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

RF-S-LC-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1600

RF-S-LC-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 4000

Last edited:
Images from our recent visit to Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panel and Topaz Labs Sharpen AI).

You can find out more about Lowther Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. The site of Lowther Castle (a country house featuring castleated features) has been occupied by the Lowther family since 1150.

View attachment 18948

2. The ‘castle’ (actually a grand hall) was commissioned by William, 1st Earl of Lonsdale in 1806.

View attachment 18949

3. In its heyday, it was said to boast a room for every day of the year.

View attachment 18950

4. The ‘Yellow Earl’, the 5th Earl of Lonsdale, made ‘you can’t take it with you’ into an art form, spending huge amounts of money on an extravagant life-style of truly epic proportions.

View attachment 18951

5. The castle was requisitioned during the war for ‘tank development’. It was returned to the family in 1954, but in 1957, crippling death duties forced James Lonsdale, the 7th Earl to remove the roof and and strip the Castle.

View attachment 18952

6. The castle was left as an empty shell, the once pristine forecourt being used for pig pens and the previously manicured gardens turned into a timber plantation. More happily, recent developments have resulted in the castle and gardens now being managed by a Trust.

View attachment 18953

(Sources: Lowther Castle, Wikipedia)
Wonderful photos of the castle and grounds. I love the details of the stone you captured and the history is really interesting

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back