LrC 13 is out

Only RF

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Phased release so it may be a few days for some. I tried logging out and in but it didn't work. I guess Adobe caught on.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com …new-in-lightroom-2023-10/

Lr or the cloudy version now offers local storage options it appears. Six years ago they said Adobe would dump LrC and force everyone into cloud storage. Looks like it's the other way around.

Adobe has also boosted performance when converting images to DNG format, moving folders within the app, and reading and writing metadata. DNG's are smaller. I can hardly wait to try this.

Screenshot-2023-10-10-at-11.26.32 AM.jpg

I didn't get my Sharpen AI (which I expected) but did ge the expected Denoise AI performance improvements.I kept Topaz Sharpen AI for that, when needed. More than I expected overall for this release. Because Adobe updates all year around some previous annual version updates have been a little lacklustre.

Update went smoothly but prompted 2 new 13 questions on "leftover" catalogs when converted to the new format and how in the world LR "knows" the capabilities of my monitor when using the new HDR feature. I have posted over at LRQueen.

Not much improvement for Denoise AI speed but this is from the Lightroom Queens site. "This is a but slower" is why we aren't seeing an improvement. Cancelled each other out.

Classic & Desktop – DNG Compression

When converting a raw file to a lossy DNG, Lightroom now uses JPEG XL compression rather than JPEG. This is a little slower, but the quality is just as good, and the space savings are huge. This also affects files produced by the Enhance tool (Classic & Desktop), as well Merge to HDR and Panorama (Classic only… Desktop to follow), resulting in much smaller file sizes.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-2023-10/

My own experience (earlier today!) and comments on other forums suggest that Mac users should not upgrade Lightroom Classic from LrC 13.0 to LrC 13.0.1.

According to Creative Cloud "This update [that is 13.0.1] includes critical bug fixes." Wrong! If you are a Mac user do not, repeat do not, upgrade to LrC 13.0.1. There appear to be thousands of cases where Mac users cannot open LrC after upgrading to the latest version.

The following are my suggestions:
  1. 'Cautious' Solution:
    Ignore LrC 13.0.1.
    Wait for LrC 13.0.2.

2. 'Live Dangerously' Solution:
    Uninstall LrC 13.0.
    Install (not upgrade to) LrC 13.0.1.

3. 'Recovering from Disaster' Solution:
    Uninstall non-working LrC 13.0.1.
    Install LrC 13.0.
… David

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back