Canon R Maker notes removed from EOS R dng files when converted by Adobe DNG converter

Our Canon R Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Bryan Conner

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bryan Conner
City/State
Ravensburg, Germany
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
When I use Adobe DNG Converter to convert my EOS R cr3 files to dng, the maker notes are not included in the conversion. I can see the maker notes in the cr3 exif metadata, but the notes are not there in the dng file. Therefore, the lens sharpening in DXO Photolab is not available.

Does anyone know of a way to solve this problem? I have posted the question on the Adobe Support Community forum, but thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks.

When I use Adobe DNG Converter to convert my EOS R cr3 files to dng, the maker notes are not included in the conversion. I can see the maker notes in the cr3 exif metadata, but the notes are not there in the dng file. Therefore, the lens sharpening in DXO Photolab is not available.

Does anyone know of a way to solve this problem? I have posted the question on the Adobe Support Community forum, but thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks.
Hi Bryan,

Is there any reason why you don’t open up your *.CR3 files directly into PhotoLab? (I’m not sure which version you have and/ or whether your camera/ lens set-up is supported).

As I understand it, PhotoLab will apply DxO’s own camera/ lens profiles automatically when you open your raw file with it (including lens sharpening).

[Edit: I've just tried one of my R5 *CR3 raw files with the latest Adobe DNG converter v15.2 and opened the *.DNG file with PhotoLab 6 Elite and I get the same results as you, regardless of which options are applied].

Phil

(My workflow is different to yours - I send my raw files to PhotoLab Elite via a plug-in from Lightroom Classic).

Last edited:
Hi Bryan,

Is there any reason why you don’t open up your *.CR3 files directly into PhotoLab? (I’m not sure which version you have and/ or whether your camera/ lens set-up is supported).

As I understand it, PhotoLab will apply DxO’s own camera/ lens profiles automatically when you open your raw file with it (including lens sharpening).

[Edit: I've just tried one of my R5 *CR3 raw files with the latest Adobe DNG converter v15.2 and opened the *.DNG file with PhotoLab 6 Elite and I get the same results as you, regardless of which options are applied].

Phil

(My workflow is different to yours - I send my raw files to PhotoLab Elite via a plug-in from Lightroom Classic).
I normally do use only .cr3 files and I have the latest version of Photolab (6 Elite) and my camera and lens setup is supported. I had not been using dng files for a few years, but a few weeks ago decided to start again (I have no reason why....haha...just did). That is when I discovered that DXO did not have the lens sharpening slider with dng. I contacted DXO and asked about it, and they told me that it was because Adobe didn't include the maker notes when performing the cr3>dng conversion. Without the maker note, PL6 (or 5...I tried with it as well) doesn't recognize the lens apparently.

I wonder why Adobe doesn't include the maker notes in .cr3 file conversions? They put them in the cr3 file for a reason, but apparently Lightroom/ACR doesn't need them for anything because I am sure someone using LR/ACR and dng files would have noticed a problem and Adobe would have corrected it by now.

Oh well...thanks for the information about your files and I will stop going down the dng rabbit hole and keep on using cr3 files.

Like Phil, I open my .cr3 files directly in DxO run them through for optical & denoising, outputting the linear .dngs. I have left Adobe & currently am using ON1 Photo Raw 23.1 for my main post production work. This workflow is working well for me. Good luck! As you know, experimenting with any change to one's workflow can open cans of worms that need to be closed!

Cathy

I normally do use only .cr3 files and I have the latest version of Photolab (6 Elite) and my camera and lens setup is supported. I had not been using dng files for a few years, but a few weeks ago decided to start again (I have no reason why....haha...just did). That is when I discovered that DXO did not have the lens sharpening slider with dng. I contacted DXO and asked about it, and they told me that it was because Adobe didn't include the maker notes when performing the cr3>dng conversion. Without the maker note, PL6 (or 5...I tried with it as well) doesn't recognize the lens apparently.

I wonder why Adobe doesn't include the maker notes in .cr3 file conversions? They put them in the cr3 file for a reason, but apparently Lightroom/ACR doesn't need them for anything because I am sure someone using LR/ACR and dng files would have noticed a problem and Adobe would have corrected it by now.

Oh well...thanks for the information about your files and I will stop going down the dng rabbit hole and keep on using cr3 files.
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for taking the time to explain things - appreciated!

I’m a bit the same, I’ll occasionally vary things in my workflow for a bit of a change and if I find something which doesn’t work as I think it should, it becomes a mini-challenge to work through and see if I can find a solution.

The good thing here is that you can simply move back to your tried and tested formula.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yep...sounds familiar to me. I will sometimes discover some sort of "problem" and spend hours trying to win against the "problem" only in the end to tell myself that it was basically a waste of time, but it was fun to do.

Our Canon R Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back