Paul Iddon

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul Iddon
The wind was strong which meant I never got a 100% clean shot - but here's one fairly close, of a missing sector orb weaver spider (Zygiella x-notata).

missingsectornew_a_4k_2000-XL.jpg

Paul.

Have you tried focus stacking yet?

Not with the manual lenses (the LAOWA 60mm and 85mm ones I have). Even the fancy tech in the body cant focus the lens for me.

As a rule, I tend not to focus stack - preferring the single shot. That's the test of the person, not the gear.

Paul.

Another cracking shot Paul! You make me want to go looking for some spiders! Unfortunately I sold my RF 100 Macro as I wasn't using it a great deal and needed the money at the time. I'm definitely tempted to pick up the Laowa lens next year though.

Mate, if you decide to take the plunge, you can get one direct from the manufacturer through my affiliation links (just ask for it).

I'd do it, they are very good.

Paul.

Mate, if you decide to take the plunge, you can get one direct from the manufacturer through my affiliation links (just ask for it).

I'd do it, they are very good.

Paul.
Will do! I'm an affiliate with them as well but I've found they are terrible at paying out.

Not with the manual lenses (the LAOWA 60mm and 85mm ones I have). Even the fancy tech in the body cant focus the lens for me.

As a rule, I tend not to focus stack - preferring the single shot. That's the test of the person, not the gear.

Paul.

Sure, to each his own, but you totally can stack using your manual lenses. Focus to the desired magnification and then move the camera to bracket focus, either on a rail or by hand. Pretty easy for still subjects (like spiders), and for ones less still shooting as fast as your flash will allow can sometimes produce decent brackets. Focus stacking doesn't have to be made up of hundreds of images like you often see in the descriptions. Most of my stacks are 7-12 frames, and I've had as few as 3.

As far being a test of a person, that's really highly subjective. I think retouching them in Photoshop builds character, and has a certain amount of Zen to it. Certainly adds another dimension to flow, creativity, and complexity.

Pretty easy for still subjects (like spiders)

She was almost seven feet up, just at the highest part of a garden fence. No chance with the viewfinder and only half a chance of it being in focus shot via the screen. Getting multiple I ages was never an option.

Paul.

I was just wondering in general. I've found that stacking works great with some reptiles/amphibians - they like to sit very still and let you get pretty close.
Many spiders like to sit still for hours as well. Something to consider!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back