My processing dilemma - help please!

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Hi all. Just joined after getting my R7 kit. After extensive reading I am getting the impression that I will not get the full value out of my kit (R7, RF100-400mm), specifically for bird photography, without going to RAW processing.
OK, so I can buy that. So I start looking at software involved - OK I realize there may be cost involved there . Now I find that most decent processing/editing software requires a GPU video card. I find that my recently purchased Intel core i7 desktop only has integrated graphics (Intel UHD Graphics 750) so I need to buy a graphics card.. (more cost)
NOW I find that my power supply is only 310W and is proprietary, and there are minimal if any upgrade paths (I read somewhere that there MAY be a 500W compatible supply available).
I guess I was not realistic about what I was getting into here. Any suggestions as to how I can get by with what I have? I assume I could stay with JPEG???? Or is there any path for me with just software purchase(s) and still leverage my new rig?
thanks

Last edited:
There are free software options to process your raw files including Canon's own. It's a bit slow but it will get the job done. And I would try the software with the integrated graphics first. It will still work. It just won't be as smooth and fast as with a dedicated GPU. If I was you I'd start with what you have and some free software and then invest more money later IF necessary.

Have you looked at Canons free Digital Photo Professional 4 software? I use it for 90% of what I do. Every once in a while I’ll move something to Affinity Photo for processing. DPP4 isn’t blazing fast, but it works as fast as I can.

Have you looked at Canons free Digital Photo Professional 4 software? I use it for 90% of what I do. Every once in a while I’ll move something to Affinity Photo for processing. DPP4 isn’t blazing fast, but it works as fast as I can.
Thanks. Looking at the system requirements, I am defintiely in its operating "window". I have not tried it, but I will give it a try.

Thanks. Looking at the system requirements, I am defintiely in its operating "window". I have not tried it, but I will give it a try.
What I like about it is that it leaves my pictures where they are. It basically allows me to create my ideal Canon jpeg after the fact. So I can change white balance, picture style, selectively saturate colors, mess with curves, etc.

I can process HDR and depth composite my focus brackets.

All things I need. It doesn’t do layers and masking, Smart Selection of areas or things like that though.

Hi Woodbadger, coming back to your original query I'd say your integrated Intel graphics will do just fine for processing your RAW files. I haven't heard anyone in the last 20 or so years complaining on such an issue (including myself). Best advise: Just do it! :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back