Smithsonian Museum visit

dougsmit

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Douglas Smith
My weekend included a visit to a few of the Smithsonian museums in Washington DC. I'm not sure why I wanted to take pictures there but the conditions present challenges and helped me become more acquainted with my new R7. While in DC, we also visited the National Zoo (photos later) which shares the now current theory that the least important thing is making it easy to see the exhibits. Museums are all about protecting objects from fading and damage so we have thick plastic boxes in dimly lit galleries. Reflections abound and ruin most angles, especially on days when the place is crowded. The question is when do we just say that we can't get the picture and when do we accept the picture we could get including its faults. My example here is an attempt to record the object and make the reflections part of the whole experience. There were other objects that I tried and many I walked away admitting defeat.

I wanted a record of my wife experiencing the exhibits of Asian art. I might have been able to find a better angle that did not place reflections on her face but this is all I got proving I am not a good photographer but just a guy with a camera. R7 kit lens @ 18mm f/8 1/20 iso 800
00dcmallA0656.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 800

My more successful shot shows a ceremonial object lighted in part by a skylight but still completely enclosed in a plastic box. I should have written down what it was but my photography is full of things I should have done.
00dcmallA0668.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 800

Included in displays behind plastic was this scientist examining and cleaning a fossil with a microscope. The R7 correctly locked on to his eye as soon as the angle allowed it to be seen. I was set to animal eye but I don't see how a people setting would have been better in this case. This was a test of IS+IBIS. I know most of you would prefer shooting wide open so the background would be unsharp and diffraction would not limit the image. It bothers me that the time stamp on my image reads 1:29 PM which is several hours from his watch. Do Smithsonian scientists all work in GMT? R7 kit @43mm f/11 iso 800 1/8
00dcmallA0685.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 43.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/8 sec
  • ISO 800

Another 'test' of animal eye tracking was this dead-for-a-long-time fish. The R7 locked onto that empty socket and would not let go as I tried wiggling around trying to drop it. Again, reflections from the thick plastic case required finding an angle that worked. If I had it to do over, I might have used f/8 for more DOF and possibly waited for a person making the reflection who was not wearing an LSU Tigers t-shirt. Who knew swordfish ate tigers? Not I! R7 kit @18mm f/5 iso 800 1/25
00dcmallA0704.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 800

I have only processed a few pictures from the trip so far. A problem with going away for four days means returning to things that should have been done while away. I posted these in 'Other'. The other days of my trip have categories that fit them and will be shown there if any are presentable.

I really like these and the real life nature of the shots. I think you did super. Shooting in conditions like that intimidate me!

Thanks. I think that is the best part of photography. In all honesty, I don't want a bunch of photos of a museum interior and my walls ran out of places to hang new things years ago but I get enjoyment (and/or frustration) not from having those photos but inn making them and seeing if there is anything I can do to make a bad situation better. Don't be intimidated. You might feel bad when you fail to take an easy subject but, when you face the impossible, you can take pleasure from the things that go right. I learn more from my poor photos than from the good ones. Below is a plant just outside the museum. I thought the contrast between the green, white and orange was interesting. When I got home and saw the Praying Mantis, I learned I should have been more observant while shooting. Who knows? I might have taken the shot and got all of it in the frame and in focus. Neither way makes any difference. My best Mantis pictures were from pre-mirrorless days and none have made the walls so I'm not sure why I keep taking things like this except that it is fun while doing it. Processing a hundred shots that are all the same and all ordinary is less fun but we do it.
00dcmallA0646.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back