New user, I've left Nikon after 15 years!

NigeHartley

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Nige Hartley
Hi, I'm based in country New South Wales, and shoot mainly wildlife photos. Im sure I'll be coming online with lots of questions as it is a steep learning curve from a Nikon D500 to a Canon R5.
Cheers Nige Hartley

Welcome, Nige - we've been making plans for you!! (Sorry, XTC reference for the lost)

Made the same change 2 years ago with (almost) no regrets. Big wildlife shooter here and if I regret anything it's that Nikon finally seems focused on good, light, economical long lenses, and outside of the recent 200-800mm (just got mine 3 weeks ago) there's not a lot on the horizon.

Lots of good information out there, but it's gonna take some getting used to. Menus and metering was the biggest thing for me in terms of pure system differences. The rest is a combination of system and mirrorless vs. DSLR and what you need to do with the updated tech. Happy to help out where I can.

What are you putting on the front of that R5? I'm thrilled with the 100-500mm, and it's that combo that finally got me to switch (2 1/2 years prior I turned down a "borrow for as long as you need it" full Canon arsenal from a former news photographer who was now shooting with company gear and had been trying to get me to switch for years).

Welcome, Nige. The D500 and R5 are both great cameras. We are looking forward to see your photos.

Welcome to the forum Nige. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Welcome, Nige - we've been making plans for you!! (Sorry, XTC reference for the lost)

Made the same change 2 years ago with (almost) no regrets. Big wildlife shooter here and if I regret anything it's that Nikon finally seems focused on good, light, economical long lenses, and outside of the recent 200-800mm (just got mine 3 weeks ago) there's not a lot on the horizon.

Lots of good information out there, but it's gonna take some getting used to. Menus and metering was the biggest thing for me in terms of pure system differences. The rest is a combination of system and mirrorless vs. DSLR and what you need to do with the updated tech. Happy to help out where I can.

What are you putting on the front of that R5? I'm thrilled with the 100-500mm, and it's that combo that finally got me to switch (2 1/2 years prior I turned down a "borrow for as long as you need it" full Canon arsenal from a former news photographer who was now shooting with company gear and had been trying to get me to switch for years).
Hi Jake,
Goodness, a Swindon Band!
Onto the Canon R5, I am also using the 100-500 lens. It's a lot of fun and very versatile, with the eye detection a game changer.
I don't think the low light performance is particularly good, anything above about 2000 ISO on a recent trip to Jamaica and Guyana needed rescuing with Topaz Denoise, of course the 7.1 limit on the 100-500 doesn't help.
My main problem is with shooting manual. I used to shoot manual with the D500 happily enough, but with the Canon the exposure compensation takes on a life of its own. With A, S and ISO all controllable with different wheels the only one I don't control is the Exposure Compensation. I've had particular trouble at night, and have missed some owl shots when the exposure has decided to amp up to make the camera unusable.
I do find the focus point can wander and though its an easy fix with the joystick it can be annoying. Likewise even with ISO on auto (up to 12,800) sometimes the ISO decides to not be auto!
All in all though it's a very versatile camera, I stuck my head in the sand for a couple of years when development stopped for SLRs and am glad I made the switch.
Cheers
Nige
I'm attaching a few photos from Guyana.
Guyana-35.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 640
Guyana-434.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 270.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 640

Guyana-741-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1000
Guyana-795-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Guyana-478-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 6400
Guyana-803-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 6400

Welcome Nige and thanks for joining up here and introducing yourself. Just let me know if you have any questions about the forum.

Aperture, shutter and ISO are all controllable with different wheels.

The only one I don't control is the Exposure Compensation.
Nige…

I always shoot Manual with Auto ISO and have the dials and rings set as follows:
  • Main DialTv (shutter)
  • Quick Control Dial 2 ISO
  • Quick Control Dial 1 Exposure Compensation
  • Control RingAv (aperture)
In all cases, exposure is increased by turning the dial or ring to the right (right = light or bright).

… David

Clarification:
  • Customise Dials can be found in orange Control Function menu #3 (C.Fn3).

• Main Dial – behind Shutter button
  • Quick Control Dial 2 — around Mode button
  • Quick Control Dial 1 — rear wheel; around Set button
  • Control Ring — on lens (awkward location on RF 100–500)

Last edited:
With A, S and ISO all controllable with different wheels the only one I don't control is the Exposure Compensation. I've had particular trouble at night, and have missed some owl shots when the exposure has decided to amp up to make the camera unusable.
I'm unclear on what's going on. If you are in manual, controlling A/S/ISO individually, what role can EC even do? I'm not aware that it should be stepping in at all. To me, EC is a purely manual control for adjusting the metering. You're making it sound like EC is changing itself somehow.

If you are in manual, controlling A/S/ISO individually, what role can EC even do? I'm not aware that it should be stepping in at all.
Anton, I agree.

I've spent the last thirty or so minutes with my R5 set to fully manual exposure.

Never again, but I'm open to correction or persuasion otherwise. For now, back to manual + auto ISO (I find exposure compensation is so easy that way!).

… David

Last edited:
My main problem is with shooting manual. I used to shoot manual with the D500 happily enough, but with the Canon the exposure compensation takes on a life of its own.
And this is the toughest thing to get used to - they just meter completely differently. Gone is the focus point metering that made working with the D500 so nice, so now the exposure compensation wheel turns the classic "exposure triangle" into a square (actually, a pyramid). Takes time and practice to figure out how and when to use it.

I'm fine using noise reduction tools and use both Denoise AI and DxO Pure Raw 3 (thinking about 4) with no remorse. I started with a Nikon that maxed out at ISO 800 with nothing to save anything beyond that, so I'll take it.

As for focus lock, choosing the proper focus Case in the menus can really help that, and you may need to switch between them depending on the scenario.
I'm unclear on what's going on. If you are in manual, controlling A/S/ISO individually, what role can EC even do? I'm not aware that it should be stepping in at all. To me, EC is a purely manual control for adjusting the metering. You're making it sound like EC is changing itself somehow.
Anton, as I state above, coming from Nikon where exposure can be based on the entire frame or just the focus point (which Canon doesn't have for some reason), EC factors in greatly, especially in wildlife situations where we have dark birds against bright backgrounds or constantly changing conditions with animals moving. I'm constantly spinning the back dial to over or under expose the frame so my subject is perfect. Otherwise my White Egret is nothing but white against the dark river and trees, or the underside of my Bald Eagle is detailless against the bright blue sky.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back