Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Joseph Boza
City/State
Phoenix, Arizona
greetings and salutations from phoenix, arizona! happy to join rfshooters!

currently deciding between canon r5 and r6 for my next camera and looking forward to learning the perspectives and recommendations of the rf shooters members.

i have previously used nikon dslr's (most recently the d810, but also the d800, d300, and d200 as well) before switching to fuji (xt2, xh1, x100f) several years ago. love the fuji system but have always always always had a love of the images from canon dslr's. with the introduction of the r5 and r6, and the fabulous rf lenses i have decided that a return to full frame is in order to satisfy my desire for the look and feel and awesome color from canon color.

now i just need to finalize the choice of r5 or r6 and choice of a lens or three and hand over my wallet. ;)

looking forward to reading, learning, and being inspired from everyone!

best,

joe

Welcome Joe and thank you for joining up here. I guess the choice really comes down to what you are shooing and how large you are printing. If you enjoy shooting wildlife the extra megapixels that the R5 provides are very useful for cropping. Otherwise if you don't crop too much or need the largest prints then the 20MP may well be enough. Assuming of course you don't need 8k video!

Welcome Joe and thank you for joining up here. I guess the choice really comes down to what you are shooing and how large you are printing. If you enjoy shooting wildlife the extra megapixels that the R5 provides are very useful for cropping. Otherwise if you don't crop too much or need the largest prints then the 20MP may well be enough. Assuming of course you don't need 8k video!
thanks, timothy. all spot-on ... being honest with myself, i don't "need" the r5 and the 45mp and that is a clear consideration. that said, there are some non-rational "wants" to consider as well. for example, i really would like the slightly more robust build of the r5, and i tend to prefer the digital display of the r5, and there's also some consideration for pre-buying some features that may convert to need in the future (such as higher mp, video, etc.).

in the end, though i am leaning towards the r6 for several reasons. lower cost, duplicate sd card slots (rather than cfexpress and sd - i have a lot of high-capacity sd cards now but no cfexpress), more manageable file sizes - improved workflow and long-term storage. it seems that investing the difference in lenses seems to be the best approach as the bodies will continue to improve and be replaced far more often.

decisions, decisions. :)

well, i have finally taken the leap and bought a r6 today (as i thought i probably would) with the rf 24-105/f4 "kit" lens (is it really a kit lens?).

looking forward to contributing and learning far more from the community in the future.

well, i have finally taken the leap and bought a r6 today (as i thought i probably would) with the rf 24-105/f4 "kit" lens (is it really a kit lens?).

looking forward to contributing and learning far more from the community in the future.
Congrats on the the purchase!

Congrats on the R6 Joe. I wouldn’t mind that kit lens myself! 🙂

I also went through the R5/R6 decision. IN reality, my mind was made up by the fact that I could't get a hold of an R5 and the local camera store had an R6 sitting there. I am very happy with my decision. I also got the 24-105/F4 lens. First other lends I picked up was the RF 24-240. I figured that would be a good travel lens because of the versatility of it, and also because it doesn't have the "I'm a very expensive" red ring around it that might make it more of a target for theft while traveling :). I am very happy with the 24-240. For the price, it is a remarkable lens.

I also went through the R5/R6 decision. IN reality, my mind was made up by the fact that I could't get a hold of an R5 and the local camera store had an R6 sitting there. I am very happy with my decision. I also got the 24-105/F4 lens. First other lends I picked up was the RF 24-240. I figured that would be a good travel lens because of the versatility of it, and also because it doesn't have the "I'm a very expensive" red ring around it that might make it more of a target for theft while traveling :). I am very happy with the 24-240. For the price, it is a remarkable lens.
hi tracy - similar experience for me when i bought my r6. it was literally the only one my local dealer had in stock for either r5 or r6. even still, i was having a hard time justifying the additional megapixels (and cost) of the r5 for my needs no matter how much i desire them. i had to also consider the on-going cost impact to my workflow in terms of time and storage - the larger files would take longer to process and move around, and take up more hard-drive space. while disk space is "cheap" it's not "free." those factors were all pointing me to the r6, and when it was the only one in stock with the "kit" rf 24-105/f4.0 it seemed to me the universe was telling me what i should do. :)

I keep hearing really good things about the rf 24-240/f4.0-6.3 so i need to take good look at that for the future. glad to hear you're happy with it.

Hello Joseph. I'm in the Phoenix area too. I also went through the R5 vs R6 argument with myself. I finally settled on the R6. When it came down to it, I really couldn't justify the expense of the R5 right now. I'm still more of a novice/intermediate and the R5 was just too much camera for me. Figure I'll use the money I saved on the R6 for lenses in the future.

Hello Joseph. I'm in the Phoenix area too. I also went through the R5 vs R6 argument with myself. I finally settled on the R6. When it came down to it, I really couldn't justify the expense of the R5 right now. I'm still more of a novice/intermediate and the R5 was just too much camera for me. Figure I'll use the money I saved on the R6 for lenses in the future.
yep, same internal discussion. i would love the r5 but being honest i couldn't justify the extra cost and megapixels. from what i've observed with the r6 thus far, i am very pleased with my decision to go with the r6, and i think you will be too. it's great camera - full stop. i'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos here on the forum. :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back