Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
A Kefauver
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Ok, leaving in 10 days for the Chobe, Dinaka, the Kalihari, and Madekwe. Worked out lens pooling with my traveling partner to distribute weight. I am taking my 2 R5s, the RF 100-500, the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and the two extenders (1.4x and 2x). He is carrying his R5, his RF 100-500, and my RF 24-105 f/4 and my 15-35 f/2.8 along with his M50 and one lens.
So, we are covered from 15mm to 1000mm. The photo guide at Pangolin suggested bringing the 70-200 for use in the water level hides at three of the locations.

Hope they don't mind that I will be wearing the same clothes for 3 weeks as I prioritized lenses over clothes.
lol.gif
. Biggest problem was integrating my Bi-Pap into the luggage with sufficient padding to withstand the baggage monkeys.

May be overthinking this, but we will alternate getting food in J'berg for the one night we are there, so we don't leave the photo gear alone in the room at any time. Between the two of us there will be about $30k of gear (including computers) in the room for the overnight before flying to Kasane.

I think you are reading too much in to the bad reports you get on various websites to be honest. I think in your hotel room in J'Berg shouldn't be a problem at all but that depends where you are staying. We had a B&B close to the airport, the car was inside a locked compound which was the garden and the room was perfectly safe. Your gear is most at risk when you are travelling in the car in all probability but again depends if you are self driving or being guided. We were self drive and when we had to we parked where there was a security guard on duty and tipped him for his troubles or tried to keep watch all the time.
As for lenses, it depends what you want to shoot. The 100-500 will cover most options, especially with the 1.4TC for smaller subjects.
I presume your weight restrictions apply to internal flights? I have to say one of the beauties of the R5 is it will fit in a pocket without too much trouble, I have a photographers vest with loads of pockets to spread the weight when necessary.
Your trip looks like an amazing journey. I hope you have a great time!

Ok, leaving in 10 days for the Chobe, Dinaka, the Kalihari, and Madekwe. Worked out lens pooling with my traveling partner to distribute weight. I am taking my 2 R5s, the RF 100-500, the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and the two extenders (1.4x and 2x). He is carrying his R5, his RF 100-500, and my RF 24-105 f/4 and my 15-35 f/2.8 along with his M50 and one lens.
So, we are covered from 15mm to 1000mm. The photo guide at Pangolin suggested bringing the 70-200 for use in the water level hides at three of the locations.

Hope they don't mind that I will be wearing the same clothes for 3 weeks as I prioritized lenses over clothes.
lol.gif
. Biggest problem was integrating my Bi-Pap into the luggage with sufficient padding to withstand the baggage monkeys.

May be overthinking this, but we will alternate getting food in J'berg for the one night we are there, so we don't leave the photo gear alone in the room at any time. Between the two of us there will be about $30k of gear (including computers) in the room for the overnight before flying to Kasane.
have fun, be safe and take lots of images.

Wishing you a marvellous safari, very nice itinerary you guys are having. #jealous :) What I have heard/seen those "underground" photo hides are really full stunning opportunities! Have lots of fun and enjoy ! :)

My husband and I are in the discussing stage of a trip to Africa. We've decided we ARE going to go, just have to plan it out. Thanks for the inspiration, I can't wait to see photos!

lol.gif

Awesome! I have been searching for options to go to Chobe for at least 7 to 10 days tops, depending on budget, if you have any tips or tour company that you could recommend, maybe after your trip, Please share! Pangolin is one of the ones I have been checking out.

Good Luck with the Trip!

Somewhere I got the idea that Pangolin provided some services or equipment if you needed it. I would expect you to want your own cameras and lenses but I'm wondering if they might have battery charging stations for the available current (even on their vehicles?). Have you checked with them in detail on what is included? I'd probably take less equipment and more memory cards but I'm usually of the opinion that better photos come from keeping it simple enough that I can count on myself to react quickly to changes in the situation. Outfits like Pangolin have a lot to gain out of making you so happy with the experience that you come back and convince the rest of us that we have to go next year. We will be expecting both details and photos when you return.

Somewhere I got the idea that Pangolin provided some services or equipment if you needed it. I would expect you to want your own cameras and lenses but I'm wondering if they might have battery charging stations for the available current (even on their vehicles?). Have you checked with them in detail on what is included? I'd probably take less equipment and more memory cards but I'm usually of the opinion that better photos come from keeping it simple enough that I can count on myself to react quickly to changes in the situation. Outfits like Pangolin have a lot to gain out of making you so happy with the experience that you come back and convince the rest of us that we have to go next year. We will be expecting both details and photos when you return.
Pangolin provides Canon DSLRs with Sigma 150-600 lenses if you don't have your own higher end cam (some non-photographers come with P&S cams.) Also provides mem cards for you to keep. Games drives, morning and evening, edit sessions (bring your laptop) in the afternoons. Power everywhere including vehicles, and the tented camps in Dinaka, etc.

I'll have lots of photos to post, but it may take a while to process. When I went to Kenya/Tanzania I took about 5k pics, (some here flickr.com/apkef/albums) I expect to shoot 10k or so pics this go round. I'll spend the rest of the summer culling and processing.

Awesome! I have been searching for options to go to Chobe for at least 7 to 10 days tops, depending on budget, if you have any tips or tour company that you could recommend, maybe after your trip, Please share! Pangolin is one of the ones I have been checking out.

Good Luck with the Trip!
Hi, I can highly recommend South African company called Wild Eye . We travelled with them to Kenya (Amboseli&Mara) last fall, and are now heading to Uganda with them next winter. They have different kind of tours, depending the schedule and budget you have. Very, very professional approach to going on safari in general, but also what comes to animals and people. Toss me a message if you'd like to hear more.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back