prglassma

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob Glassman
I have been using foto shop for about 21 years now mostly for product photography. Never did get into light room. With the 2021 release I am finding it difficult 2 get a lot of work accomplished. The memory requirements in dis requirements or absolutely crazy. I had to back date to 2020. Is anybody else found the same problem. I have a HP laptop running a rizen 5 3500 with 12 gigs of ram. Yes it still has an old hard drive in it and not an SSD, but it seems to work OK with 2020.

Anybody else experiencing the same situation. Course I'm running Windows 10 which is my first problem.

2021 PS with Light Room Classic open has dogged my Laptop... I thought it was just me.

It's not just you. I recommend you go back to 2020 but keep the existing new raw so that you can do enhanced if you want. But be advised, enhanced in raw is a huge hog also

I was having trouble with my 2015 iMac with 8gb of RAM, so I added another 8gb, and it helped immensely. But I needed something portable that I could download images to on site, so I bought a new MacBook Pro with the m1 chip and 16gb of RAM, and this thing flies with LR and PS both running.

I know that's not always an option, so I do recommend increasing RAM if your computer is configured to allow it. Newegg.com is probably the best place in the US to get it and they have a tool on their website to help find the right sticks for your machine.

Its really about ram and Win 10. On a mac, you actually have a good OS in Berkley System 5.

Don't discount upgrading your HD to a SSD. Win10 likes sides. One of my computers used to be fast. With subsequent os updates it has slowed down. I know it has an hd. I will have to check if I can upgrade the ram and swap out the HD for an ssd. It's an Asus laptop.

I was having trouble with my 2015 iMac with 8gb of RAM, so I added another 8gb, and it helped immensely. But I needed something portable that I could download images to on site, so I bought a new MacBook Pro with the m1 chip and 16gb of RAM, and this thing flies with LR and PS both running.

I know that's not always an option, so I do recommend increasing RAM if your computer is configured to allow it. Newegg.com is probably the best place in the US to get it and they have a tool on their website to help find the right sticks for your machine.
I upgraded my RAM also...made a big difference

I've increased my Ram to 20gb and in Lightroom Edit preferences increased camera raw Cache setting in Performance setting to 20gb.

Is LR/PS peoples preferences for image processing? I've been using for these several years but but LR does not as yet have the choice of Canon R5 profiles. Adobe to me does not seem as good as DPP4 in Raw conversions colours. DPP4 has become increasingly slower and the reason I hardly use it. I've also dabbled with both Luminar AI and 4 which appear to use an Adobe Raw conversion, but the colours all seem wrong. I do have DxO PL4 whose lens corrections and noise reduction are very good. Again not so sure about the Raw conversion colours. The reason I've done this was to see if it is possible to get away from a monthly subscription. However, PS has far more powerful tools, for example unwanted object removal being far superior.

I've increased my Ram to 20gb and in Lightroom Edit preferences increased camera raw Cache setting in Performance setting to 20gb.

Is LR/PS peoples preferences for image processing? I've been using for these several years but but LR does not as yet have the choice of Canon R5 profiles. Adobe to me does not seem as good as DPP4 in Raw conversions colours. DPP4 has become increasingly slower and the reason I hardly use it. I've also dabbled with both Luminar AI and 4 which appear to use an Adobe Raw conversion, but the colours all seem wrong. I do have DxO PL4 whose lens corrections and noise reduction are very good. Again not so sure about the Raw conversion colours. The reason I've done this was to see if it is possible to get away from a monthly subscription. However, PS has far more powerful tools, for example unwanted object removal being far superior.
My lightroom has had the Canon R5/R6 .cr3 support, as well as all of the lenses for quite a while now. Have you updated the program recently?

UPDATE: Apologies Ken, now that I reread your comment I see that you are looking for Canon supplied profiles, not just the Adobe supplied profiles that I assumed when not reading correctly. My comment above relates to having available Adobe profiles for the RF lenses.

Last edited:
My lightroom has had the Canon R5/R6 .cr3 support, as well as all of the lenses for quite a while now. Have you updated the program recently?
As far as I know my creative cloud has updated to latest LR and in the profiles section it only gives the options for the various Adobe profiles to use with R5 .cr3 files. Unlike when I used for my 5D Mkiv .cr2 files, you had the choice of Adobe or Canon profiles to select.

Something I noticed the other day - since I pretty much always feed LR with the .cr3 file, it has no impact on me, but it may be behind the issue you are seeing. With a .cr3 file from my R6 when I go to the lens corrections, I see the list as shown in the first image. If I have a TIFF or most other formats, after I select Canon as the camera type, I see the very abbreviated lens list as shown in the second image. About the only RF profile I can't find is for the RF 50mm 1.8, all others I have needed are there.

Attachments

• Lens profiles with .CR3 file.jpg
    Lens profiles with .CR3 file.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 94
  • Lens profiles with TIFF file and Canon selected.jpg
    Lens profiles with TIFF file and Canon selected.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 91
As far as I know my creative cloud has updated to latest LR and in the profiles section it only gives the options for the various Adobe profiles to use with R5 .cr3 files. Unlike when I used for my 5D Mkiv .cr2 files, you had the choice of Adobe or Canon profiles to select.
There are no Canon profiles for the R5/R6, this has been an ongoing issue since the release of the cameras. Adobe has not addressed the problem, one of the suggestions I have followed is to get the profiles from Color Fidelity, which are a good substitute for the Canon profiles.

Something I noticed the other day - since I pretty much always feed LR with the .cr3 file, it has no impact on me, but it may be behind the issue you are seeing. With a .cr3 file from my R6 when I go to the lens corrections, I see the list as shown in the first image. If I have a TIFF or most other formats, after I select Canon as the camera type, I see the very abbreviated lens list as shown in the second image. About the only RF profile I can't find is for the RF 50mm 1.8, all others I have needed are there.

20210512_181143.jpg 20210512_181536.jpg

These are the profiles available in LR. On the left is for the R5 .cr3 and all the profiles are for Adobe and none camera matching. On the
right are for the 5D Mkiv which has camera matching as well as Adobe. Camera matching is not available at the present for the R5 .cr3 in
the latest LR. I do have the correct lens profiles selected. This has been commented on in the DPreview R forum.

There are no Canon profiles for the R5/R6, this has been an ongoing issue since the release of the cameras. Adobe has not addressed the problem, one of the suggestions I have followed is to get the profiles from Color Fidelity, which are a good substitute for the Canon profiles.
I've just done the same thing and first impressions are a good match for the R5. Very quick response from Color Fidelity. Very easy to install thanks to the PDF with instructions. Now have installed in LR and PS Camera RAW.

This is all way above my amateur head, but I have found that my Photoshop 2020 will not open CR3 files. I have to use Affinity instead to process RAW then have the choice of both if I want to play about with the jpg from that. A pain but another reason why it seems Adobe is losing sight of their customer base.

This is all way above my amateur head, but I have found that my Photoshop 2020 will not open CR3 files. I have to use Affinity instead to process RAW then have the choice of both if I want to play about with the jpg from that. A pain but another reason why it seems Adobe is losing sight of their customer base.
I'm not sure they are losing sight of their customer base as much as they are trying to force their customer base into the subscription system. The current Lightroom Classic and Photoshop 2021 open my R5 .cr3 files with no issues, but they added that support in Camera Raw 12.4, which was probably after your Photoshop 2020. Adobe isn't at all eager to support stand-alone (perpetual) licensing for their products, which leaves newer cameras incompatible, at least for raw files, with older versions of their software. I'm not thrilled with the subscription model, but it is growing reality of the software landscape.

I'm not sure they are losing sight of their customer base as much as they are trying to force their customer base into the subscription system. The current Lightroom Classic and Photoshop 2021 open my R5 .cr3 files with no issues, but they added that support in Camera Raw 12.4, which was probably after your Photoshop 2020. Adobe isn't at all eager to support stand-alone (perpetual) licensing for their products, which leaves newer cameras incompatible, at least for raw files, with older versions of their software. I'm not thrilled with the subscription model, but it is growing reality of the software landscape.
Yes, I subscribed to CC for a year or more but as I wasn't actually using LR or anything else I went back to a stand-alone. I agree, they really want us all to subscribe but they have lost me to Affinity, who upgrade your original purchase for free for life and my copy already handles CR3 files. I'd have preferred to stay with PS but it looks like my loyalty needs to shift. I might buy PS 2030 when it is out but I'll decide that in a decade.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back