Picture Styles

PB Aus

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Peter Buckle
I found neutral picture style to be too flat and too soft to gauge how things are going whilst out shooting (yes ..aware it's like that and to be enhanced in processing) I had changed standard to neutral based on recommendation in one of the videos on R6 settings. Now I've changed to Landscape as I had it previously on the 80D. I do all of my editing in Snapseed and mobile Lightroom and keep that to a minimum so I like to see in camera how things are going.....a lot more comfortable yesterday having made the change. I used to sit for hours editing on the computer with Lightroom and doing unnecessary things to photos, because you can. Now I do minimal editing but colour is important to me and these photos probably show that. They are very ordinary...but colourful. I edit them to be viewed at maximum brightness on a smartphone..mine is Huawei P30 Pro. I'm guessing most are using neutral or standard? 20220721124643_0J9A0225-02-01.jpeg 20220721121258_0J9A0220-01-01.jpeg

I typically go with Faithful in my settings just because I like the color renditions that it produces as a starting point. That’s the thing though, if you’re shooting raw, then the idea of the raw image is to have the flexibility of adjusting things to your heart‘s content. If shooting in jpg, then the limitations of what you will be able to do with the image comes into play. Flexibility/customizability or ease-of-use/simplicity, it’s really up to the individual.

As you are expressing, not everyone wants to spend a lot of time editing and adjusting a photo, so maybe jpg makes more sense. Then there’s also the option of finding a good, solid preset that fits your preferential style.

I will say additionally, that most people are not viewing the images on their device (phone, tablet, or computer) screen’s brightest, though. That’s just something to think about.

Ultimately, there’s no right way, per se, there’s just a right way for you.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back