Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Some are subscription.
Some are perpetual license.
Some ownership licenses fail to work after a few years and you have upgrade meaning buy another license for a few years, others good for longer?

Or am i wrong

Pretty much everything is either a subscription, or you have to renew your license every year or so to get the updates is the norm today. When Topaz had a sale on license renewal I bought two years so I get all the updates until 2025. After that we'll see.
And, as far as older stuff not working anymore, that's a computer issue. If you keep the same computer and operating system, your stand alone software will work forever. (i.e. Adobe PS 4 on a Win 95 machine)
Some people hate it, but it is what it is.

In computer terms it's called SaaS (Software as a Service) for Adobe Creative Cloud. Gone are the days of purchasing a CD and your good to go. I still have my Adobe Lightroom 5 software download card. No please don't ask me why, because I don't know why!

Some are subscription.
Some are perpetual license.
Some ownership licenses fail to work after a few years and you have upgrade meaning buy another license for a few years, others good for longer?

Or am i wrong
I will now wear my professor emeritus of marketing hat which has been off for a dozen years! Subscription is a highly desirable model in marketing. Many who subscribe to a service or a product generally do not cancel it unless there is a serious problem. I wish at the beginning, users rejected the idea by not subscribing but it was hard for many. I even wrote ten years ago about this and called CC "Captive Consumer" as they had no choice left for them.

As long as a significant portion of the market embraces subscriptions, this is going to continue I am afraid. I am on the side of perpetual licensing although I get a free subscription to the entire Adobe CC suite. All said, we have subscriptions to many things from utilities to heating or cooling system maintenance contracts and the like.

Some interesting things about your article and what did happen. There were so many that said subscription would be the death of Adobe and the opposite happened.

No internet connection actually gives you 30 days for monthly payments. Annual payment gives you 100 days. These days not many don’t have a constant connection or can’t get on periodically unless you spend a few months deep in the jungles of Borneo. Even then portable satellite links.

What I like with Adobe is they will release a major update like Adobe Denoise mid year. Others like DXO won’t release the next big NR feature, etc until fall with the release of PL7 and you have to pay to get it.

C1 Pro is really pushing for subscription. Not sure if this is true but no more deals for annual perpetual licence upgrades. If you want to upgrade the next year you pay the full licence price.

I always upgraded my software. I never skipped a year with perpetual so subscription never made much difference to me. There is the old you really don’t own the software. You purchase the license for the right use but you can use it forever as long as it has RAW support for your camera and the OS can run it.

Many predictions that once they had you prices would double. In 7 years only the All Apps plan that is about $50 a month went up a few dollars. About 6%. If I had that plan I’d likely be earning and I’d usual normal thing. Pass that cost onto my customers. I was never worried about a price increase but I wonder where this generative fill, etc will go.

I also like 5 personal websites that comes with the plan.

Subscription is not for everyone so it’s a good thing there are still perpetual options available. Unless Adobe seriously ticks a majority of users off I can’t see a big exodus.

I remember when Adobe was thinking about the subscription model, I owned working copies of Lightroom, Photoshop, In Design and Illustrator and tended to upgrade every few years. This was when they really only introduced new functionality and tools sporadically but not nearly as fast as they do now. So I used to get surveys as to whether I would subscribe if given the option and then get new features more often throughout the year. At the time I said no way. I think the last version I owned outright of Lightroom was 6.

After the subscription model was made permanent I eventually moved to it. It may have been due to an Windows OS change making my paid for version harder to run and as I recall a problem with the newer CR3 files. I downsized and only got the subscription for LR and PS as I no longer used the other Adobe programs when I retired.

At this point I can't imagine being on the old system where I paid to upgrade every other year. So much changes so fast. I figure as long as I am physically and mentally able to take and edit images I will stay with the Adobe plan. My kids can figure out what to do after I'm gone!

It took a lot of back and forth and I finally decided to get it. I kept my LR6 catalogue for a year. By the time LrC 8 was released I knew I could never go back to LR6 and deleted all the old stuff.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back