tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Btw should we soon add new section in the gear area for R1?

On the rumored specs at Canonrumors, two items that would make me very happy:

-very fast read-out (so fast they don't include mechanical shutter) (hopefully include user configurable variable frame rate though)

-one second pre-record. Especially my sports easily at least 50% of bursts I already know were not correct timing so learning to utilize the 1 second buffer would be great way to reduce culling. Just need to learn to do that correctly.

Anyone else looking/interested in R1?

All comes down to cost - will have to wait and see ;-)

My hope is, with R3 permanently discounted to very reasonable prices, will see $6500 at launch for R1.

I think for lot of people, it'd be tough choice between R3 and R1 at that point as R3 is a beast already and if R1 is 50% more you can ask yourself if it's 50% better. Yen is quite weak at the moment so I'm afraid they might need to go as high as $7000 but can't imagine higher than that unless they bring some features so cool they can justify it. The released rumors are good but not over $7k good.

Global shutter frees up all kinds of flash possibilities with x-sync being relegated to the landfill of history. I suspect most R3 buyers don't really care that much about it, but those that want to do action flash outdoors will see it as a big plus. I'd sure like it for that reason, but probably not a few thousand dollars' worth of like.

For regular sports photography, the R3's rolling electronic shutter is fast enough for me.

Wait what? Can you explain more about that?

I was assuming it starts recording when you half-press the shutter, keeps last 1 second of pics as long as you hold it, and then if you full-press it'll permanently record them on your card. If you release without pressing full, it'll just flush out the buffered pics. I wasn't aware that there's any SW required.
It doesn't fill the buffer with images, it buffers frames on the half-press and, once the shutter is activated, stores them along with images taken afterward as frames in a single file. Once the button is released you cannot shoot again until the buffer is fully clear and the file stored on your card. You now have two choices, go through the images on your camera and extract the frame(s) you want to be saved as individual files or use their DPP4 software to do the same.

Here's a pretty complete explanation. https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/camera-faq-what-are-raw-burst-and-pre-shooting

It doesn't fill the buffer with images, it buffers frames on the half-press and, once the shutter is activated, stores them along with images taken afterward as frames in a single file. Once the button is released you cannot shoot again until the buffer is fully clear and the file stored on your card. You now have two choices, go through the images on your camera and extract the frame(s) you want to be saved as individual files or use their DPP4 software to do the same.

Here's a pretty complete explanation. https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/camera-faq-what-are-raw-burst-and-pre-shooting

Thanks for the info. That's way different what I expected. Hope they make it better for R1. If it will be done like that it'll be somewhat annoying to use.

Also this text (next to the dog picture) raises questions, do you know answer?
The indicator on the left side of the screen shows the buffer status. It is green when you start shooting. When it fills up and becomes red, the buffer is full and you will not be able to record any more images.

I was assuming that you could half-press for as long as you want (as it would/should flush out old pictures from buffer), and then when full-press it'd start actual recording and including previous 0.5 second (or 1 second on R1). But that sentence makes it sound like the buffer might fill up and then you can't keep buffering anymore?

Thanks for the info. That's way different what I expected. Hope they make it better for R1. If it will be done like that it'll be somewhat annoying to use.

Well, selecting a frame in-camera isn't that bad. At least you aren't actually dependent on external software, as previously suggested.
Also this text (next to the dog picture) raises questions, do you know answer?
The indicator on the left side of the screen shows the buffer status. It is green when you start shooting. When it fills up and becomes red, the buffer is full and you will not be able to record any more images.

I was assuming that you could half-press for as long as you want (as it would/should flush out old pictures from buffer), and then when full-press it'd start actual recording and including previous 0.5 second (or 1 second on R1). But that sentence makes it sound like the buffer might fill up and then you can't keep buffering anymore?
I think that text is referring to the overall buffering of shots. The buffer will always have the rolling contents of the pre-shooting, but once you press the button you are adding new frames to that and since they are RAWs they usually accumulate faster than they can be saved. On the R7, the gray buffer stays about 1/4 full on the half-press, but when I press fully it turns green, grows, and after about two seconds has filled the scale and turns red.

Once you start shooting the buffer will start filling. Once it's filled when shooting in Raw Burst you are done. Done. Unlike normal shooting where it will simply slow down as the buffer writes to the card, in Raw Burst it must empty completely before you can do anything. So depending on the situation it's entirely possible for it to save you with pre-burst and then screw you seconds later because the buffer filled and you're now dead in the water for 4-5 seconds. This is likely not to happen with great frequency on the R1 as I suspect it will have the speed and buffer size to handle it, but with the R7 it's a real thing, even with the fastest SD cards.

I wonder what's going to happen to the R3 now. Is there room for both the R3 and the R1? Unless they are so far apart price-wise that the R3 remains attractive?

I wonder what's going to happen to the R3 now. Is there room for both the R3 and the R1? Unless they are so far apart price-wise that the R3 remains attractive?

I'm thinking the other way, as in what R1 can bring to the table so that people don't get R3 instead. The price difference will be ballpark $2k, so basically they need to give something worth $2k over R3. For lot of people probably better option is R3 and use $2k for lens.

I suppose if global shutter continues to add significant cost to camera, then the R3 could live on as it is. But I don't think that's $2000. Most of the changes I want to see in the R3 are changes that should come with the R3ii, because they are features that have been introduced on subsequently released cameras (pre-shooting, USB connection to Camera Connect, etc).

Canon maintained the 1Dx3 as the more expensive "pro" alternative to the R3, but in real life many 1Dx3 users moved to the R3 because they came to see it as the logical upgrade regardless of the number 3. Now, for the first time I think, Canon will have two truly current big-body pro action cameras. If the only fundamental difference is the global shutter, then maybe Canon will simply not release another R3 and the R1 will be the logical upgrade path for those users.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back