Canon R5 II R5 MkII won't work with aftermarket batteries.

RedCobra

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
A Kefauver
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I also figure that the "aftermarket" will figure out the needed spec's and catch up. It is unlikely with a legacy 3-pin connection that there is some sort of DRM going on between the battery and the camera/grip. But, you never know. It is more likely about voltage and current supply.

When I moved on from the 1DX to the 1DXii my Hahnel batteries would no longer work either in the camera or the charger. Canon must have something to make this happen.

I never thought of buying an expensive Canon camera and trying to save on batteries. Even if the "aftermarket" figures out the specs I will still stay with genuine Canon batteries. YMMV. :)

I never thought of buying an expensive Canon camera and trying to save on batteries. Even if the "aftermarket" figures out the specs I will still stay with genuine Canon batteries. YMMV. :)
Your choice but be assured that many 3rd party ones last just as long and cost a fraction of the price. I doubt Canon have a factory that makes batteries exclusively for them.

You have to buy the 3rd party batteries to find out how long they last. But if they don't work in your Canon camera, you have no way out, have to buy the genuine brand.

Videos like this are the reason why I don't watch people who make videos like this. The R5 Mkii works with the old batteries, but some functions don't. He never puts the 3rd party battery directly in the camera, just in the grip, and then it all seems more random combinations than anything methodical. If he did then he would have put in 2 of the old Canon batteries to see if the grip worked. And btw, when he finally got it to start up the battery level showed 1/2 down, with no explanation.

Would it surprise me that the camera doesn't work with the old style 3rd party batteries? No. Do I think we'll get 3rd party new style batteries? Absolutely.

Videos like this are the reason why I don't watch people who make videos like this. The R5 Mkii works with the old batteries, but some functions don't. He never puts the 3rd party battery directly in the camera, just in the grip, and then it all seems more random combinations than anything methodical. If he did then he would have put in 2 of the old Canon batteries to see if the grip worked. And btw, when he finally got it to start up the battery level showed 1/2 down, with no explanation.

Would it surprise me that the camera doesn't work with the old style 3rd party batteries? No. Do I think we'll get 3rd party new style batteries? Absolutely.
At 1:59 min. time stamp he does put in two 3rd party batteries directly into the camera, if I'm correct. :)

You have to buy the 3rd party batteries to find out how long they last. But if they don't work in your Canon camera, you have no way out, have to buy the genuine brand.
No exactly, you can read reviews and find the ones that are good and the ones that are not so good. Normally the good 3rd party battery will give you at least 15 to 20% more juice than the canon battery and will cost you half of Canon's battery. Right now I'm using 100% 3rd party batteries, the two canon batteries that I own after 2 years are showing two green boxes even at 100% charge.

Regarding the main topic of this tread, normal but disappointing. But eventually 3rd parties will catch up and release compatible batteries.

Regarding the main topic of this tread, normal but disappointing. But eventually 3rd parties will catch up and release compatible batteries.
I'm hopeful for the same. The voltage and max current requirements of aftermarket batteries will likely catch up in the upcoming months. I doubt that Canon hast gone the way of Hewlett Packard inkjet cartridges. I believe that would have required more pins on the battery and camera.

Last edited:
It would be a major help if you could buy the Canon batteries when they launch the camera. The single one supplied won't get you very far.

If you buy an R5m2, order at least one extra Canon LP-E6P battery — a few more would be better.

Just do it.

In my experience the R5m2, when fitted with the 'old' LP-E6 NH battery, is almost a downgrade from the original R5:
  1. The advanced functions that I bought the R5m2 for are not available.
  2. The R5m2 stops functioning far too early because the battery is exhausted. Take that 'dead' battery out and put it in the original R5 — 40% charge left.
Buyer (of anything other than the correct battery) beware!

Last edited:
I had an all day session with the new toy and I'm not quite as concerned about the battery as I thought I might be although I didn't take any video. 4100 electronic actuations ( yes, I know...crazy) and still 38% charge left in the battery. I'm not sure how much power went on preshoot as you have the AF working constantly taking a burst I guess. I won't be using that mode that often but today I was after Kingfisher shots.

As an aside, there are those who question why you would buy a third party battery in preference to an original Canon one and maybe it has as much to do with your geographical location as it has with price although the latter is definitely key. It applies to both the LP-E6NH and the LP-E6P. B&H in New York are advertising both Canon versions at $79. The Watson version of the former is $59, the latter isn't available yet.
Here in the UK both Canon originals are about £114....thats $149....and you can buy a pair of Neewer ones and get an included charger for £64....that's just $41 per battery and a free charger.
Now which would you choose?
Shame B&H can't post to the UK because of carrier restrictions for air freight.

Ah, got you. I'm was presuming that a generic one will in time be made that works . They couldn't describe it as such if it didn't and buying from major retailers give a warranty that you can return the item if it doesn't.
Then which would you choose and why David?

Gents,
maybe I just don't get it, but you buy a $5000 USD camera (not to mention equally expensive lenses) so why quibble over the cost of a battery or two and the fact that some non-Canon units may not work in your camera? It's like buying a brand new Porsche and deciding that you'd prefer to use 87 octane fuel, and then complain about the lack of performance.

I don't mean to start a row, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

Mike

Not an argument at all but like you I like to know the reasoning. It's not a question of using low grade fuel when it comes to a battery. My Neewer ones last just as long as the Canon Lp-6ENH ones and my point is not saving a few cents but for the cost of three batteries I can save $300, not an insignificant sum to me and more than the cost of buying 3 Canon ones in the US. If I can do likewise with the LP-E6P ones soon then I certainly will!
The other thing that also perplexes me is people reluctance to buy grey market imports. My R5ii cost me £3339 which equates to $4330 US. If I bought from a UK official supplier the current price ( if you can get your hands on one) is £4449 which $5764 dollars. Now wouldn't you agree a saving of $1433 is well worth having especially as I only ordered it a week ago? Lots of folk don't as they are suspicious of grey imports and think if anything goes wrong no one will touch them. Might be different elsewhere but here in the UK it's not a problem getting them repaired or selling them to the likes of MPB. They usually come with an insurance policy that matches or betters the Canon warranty.
We are moving off the subject now in two different directions, the original was about original branded and generic alternatives. This is different from counterfeit fakes which pretend they are something they are not.
Canon's batteries are made in China by Panasonic. Neewer's batteries are also made in China. Neewer was formed in 2011 and is now a multi national company of high repute which has influenced big brand names to rethink and reduce their prices and that is a given fact.
Sometimes we are blinded by branding. It's our choice to make and if you are happy that's all that matters I guess. However, I do like it when people can point me in the right direction for significant savings....I'm a pensioner!!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back