Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake From
City/State
Jersey
I had the R5ii out yesterday with the 200-800mm. I had just finished shooting some hawks overhead when I saw this yellow jet flying over. On a whim I decided to just shoot it. I had the lens fully extended and the shutter half depressed and was tracking the plane smoothly. As soon as I depressed the shutter and it started capturing images the plane was jumping all over the viewfinder. I was in electronic shutter at 15fps and here are all the captures in a single 1 second burst superimposed on each other:

J50_5840-sharpened.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000

This was not camera movement or operator error. As soon as I started shooting it jumped, as soon as I stopped shooting it stopped jumping.

I contacted my Canon guy and he wondered if there was a panning assist function turned on, but that's not on the R5ii, just the R3 and R1. I'm thinking the particular angle I was shooting at may have confused the internal IS (shallow enough that it thought I wasn't shooting up) along with the starkness of the subject with no other background but blue, but I have no idea. This happened over the course of 3 separate bursts with this plane, but with nothing else that day.

I haven't had the opportunity to try it again as I've not had something fly past at that angle again, but wanted to put this out there to see if anyone has experienced this with either the R5ii, 200-800mm, or any Canon R series?

Thanks for the heads up. No idea if this is the same thing or not as it doesn't speak of it being intermittent, only when the shutter is activated, or anything else. 99% of the time this camera has been smooth as silk, but this time it lauched into spasms. I'm waiting for a similar plane to fly over (we're on a regular path into Newark) to see if I can recreate it before changing any settings.

That is some seriously good formation flying!!

What I don't understand is why, if the jet images overlap and overwrite each other, the sky didn't do the same? It's as if the jet was processed differently than the sky was.

That is some seriously good formation flying!!

What I don't understand is why, if the jet images overlap and overwrite each other, the sky didn't do the same? It's as if the jet was processed differently than the sky was.
A little Ps magic. ;)

Except for the bottom layer, every other layer required a Select Image -> Layer Mask.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back