R6 + Tilt Shift lens.

Charvelj

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul
These are from the first shoot I did using the R6 coupled with the Meike adaptor and the Canon 24mm TS-E tilt shift lens.
Any advise welcomed.

Attachments

• fin70-2.jpg
    fin70-2.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 156
  • fin70-77.jpg
    fin70-77.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 155
  • fin70-97.jpg
    fin70-97.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 158
  • fin70-89.jpg
    fin70-89.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 151
These are from the first shoot I did using the R6 coupled with the Meike adaptor and the Canon 24mm TS-E tilt shift lens.
Any advise welcomed.
I really like these pictures. I have never used a tilt shift lens - jealous.

I am not sure what I am supposed to comment on. I understand its very narrow in a long boat and the sides look like they are going to fall in on you. I need some before pictures to make comparisons with. I've often thought about getting a TS lens. I have used software a number of time to achieve the same effect.

BTW, Great interior fitting work. All your own handcraft?

I am not sure what I am supposed to comment on. I understand its very narrow in a long boat and the sides look like they are going to fall in on you. I need some before pictures to make comparisons with. I've often thought about getting a TS lens. I have used software a number of time to achieve the same effect.

BTW, Great interior fitting work. All your own handcraft?
The first image is three pics merged in panorama using the TS lens. I very rarely use the tilt function although I do intend to experiment with it.
I was asking for advice with regard to lighting and composition really. Unfortunately the boat is not my handywork. It's a company a friend owns that produces these fantastic narrow and wide beam boats.

As for lighting and composition they are worthy of putting in a high class magazine. Everything is in focus especially the bedroom from the wire basket to the headboard is near perfect sharpness. Cannot see the joins in the 1st picture. Do you do this for a living?

As for lighting and composition they are worthy of putting in a high class magazine. Everything is in focus especially the bedroom from the wire basket to the headboard is near perfect sharpness. Cannot see the joins in the 1st picture. Do you do this for a living?
Thank you for the comments. I am a hobbyist photographer. I do mostly landscape but like to push out my comfort zone with interiors and product photography for friends every now and again. You ?

Any advise welcomed.
I've never shot with a TS lens so can't really offer any critique here. It must be very difficult in such a small narrow space but you definitely get a very good feel for the space from your shots, and the lighting is very nice too. If I was in the market for a narrowboat this one looks like a great place to spend some time and your shots would definitely help to sell it to me.

The first image is three pics merged in panorama using the TS lens. I very rarely use the tilt function although I do intend to experiment with it.
I was asking for advice with regard to lighting and composition really. Unfortunately the boat is not my handywork. It's a company a friend owns that produces these fantastic narrow and wide beam boats.
Nice lighting and focus. Since the Canon TS lenses are all manual focus I would guess this took some time to get exactly right.

In the image fin70-89.jpg you have an opportunity, I think, to try out the tilt/shift of the lens. The S/T lens should help you correct the perspective of the seating and booth back. The tilt-shift feature is, from what I understand a method of adjusting the lens so the focal plane can be positioned on the plane you want to correct. The perspective the current photo showed is that the back of the booth is tilted back from the camera and leaning to the right side of the frame. This is where I think the Tilt and shift functions can be used to make the perspective (lens distortion) more normal.

I mentioned this image specifically because of the boat's construction with all the convergence of lines, this one seems to show a perspective where the distortion is not part of the architecture of the boat but an artifact of the lens at whatever setting it is at (I assume both tilt and shift axis are set to 0?)

If you have the opportunity to shoot this location again, that is where I would experiment. JMHO

I'm sorry I was not here a year ago when this was fresh but I really do like the results here and particularly the lighting. My opinion is that corrections like tilt/shift need to be done in such a way that the average viewer (not pro with tilts) will not see that something is being done to correct. These images look natural to me but I know that something had to be done for things to look that perfect. My question remains just how much better these images are than they would have been if shot with a 'normal' lens (24mm or maybe a 15mm) and corrected in software. Obviously there will be quality loss using software but there is also quality loss when you shift a lens near the limits of its range. On top of that, modern sensors have so many pixels that you can afford to lose a few cropping or spreading them out to straighten lines. In film days, tilting was necessary to achieve near far focus but today we focus stack stationary scenes like these. Software straightening has a real advantage in that you can do it once and redo it again until it is 'just right' while in camera adjustment might still benefit from a tweak to make it as desired. Have you compared results using the two ways of reshaping reality? T/S lenses are not cheap. I know I don't have enough use for it to justify the cost. Most people today seem not to realize that it is possible to straighten lines or alter sharpness patterns at least to the degree that we all expected in cutfilm days. Your beautiful results seem to make the most out of the scene. It is never wrong to make the best possible image unless you start counting pennies.

I was here a year ago, but still missed this post. I agree with Greg’s comments about lighting and composition. My only criticism, possibly being fussy, is that images fin70-2, 70-77 and 70-97.jpg seem to lean slightly to the left.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back