Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I've put together an accessories guide for the Canon R7 over on our blog:

Please do let me know if you feel that any useful accessories are missing.

Of course there aren't many third-party accessories available yet or that have been tested with the R7. So this guide is sure to see some updates over the coming months.

Excellent guide Timothy, thank you!

I would suggest rechargeable batteries for the flash. I found that the Powerol batteries sold on Amazon are excellent.

Also, not specific to the R7 but Gary Fong has some nice lighting accessories and they're now back in stock.

Lastly, it would be nice to have a section about RF lenses. There are almost none available on the market at the moment.
I can't wait for them to come out.

Regards,

• Admin
Thanks Alain and thanks for the suggestion about the Powerol batteries and the Gary Fong lighting accessories, I'll take a look into these.

We do have a list of all the RF and RF-S lenses including the latest firmware versions over on our blog here:
https://rfshooters.com/blog/lenses/

Which lens are you looking for? I know quite a few are out of stock.

Hi Timothy,

About lenses, I'm in a bind. Long story not so short: my entire set of 7D lenses got crushed by someone dropping my bag in a staircase (my guess). So instead of replacing them I bought an R7, thinking I would get RF lenses. It turned out I could only get the body. I know, it's a pathetic story haha. Doesn't end there: I got a nice Irix 150 EF f/2.8 1:1 macro lense, with the EF adaptor. And it's not working with the R7. I can press the shutter once and then the camera freezes. It does work on my 7D.

So I'm leaving on Friday for Europe on a long trip and have no macro lenses, no more fish eye lense and my Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is my main shooting lense is totally crushed.

I tried finding RF lenses in Canada but the selection is very limited and the ones I found aren't impressive at f/4. I always shoot with f/2.8 lenses as I do a lot of low lighting portrait and group shots and can't always use my flash + Gary Fong as it's bulky.

I'm thinking of getting a used Tamron 17-50 EF but would love to find native RF lenses. It looks like I'm either going to have to leave with my heavy 7D if I want to do macro or resign myself to use the R7 without it and without any native lenses.

Don't hesitate if you have suggestions!

Thank you

• Admin
Hi Timothy,

About lenses, I'm in a bind. Long story not so short: my entire set of 7D lenses got crushed by someone dropping my bag in a staircase (my guess). So instead of replacing them I bought an R7, thinking I would get RF lenses. It turned out I could only get the body. I know, it's a pathetic story haha. Doesn't end there: I got a nice Irix 150 EF f/2.8 1:1 macro lense, with the EF adaptor. And it's not working with the R7. I can press the shutter once and then the camera freezes. It does work on my 7D.

So I'm leaving on Friday for Europe on a long trip and have no macro lenses, no more fish eye lense and my Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is my main shooting lense is totally crushed.

I tried finding RF lenses in Canada but the selection is very limited and the ones I found aren't impressive at f/4. I always shoot with f/2.8 lenses as I do a lot of low lighting portrait and group shots and can't always use my flash + Gary Fong as it's bulky.

I'm thinking of getting a used Tamron 17-50 EF but would love to find native RF lenses. It looks like I'm either going to have to leave with my heavy 7D if I want to do macro or resign myself to use the R7 without it and without any native lenses.

Don't hesitate if you have suggestions!

Thank you
Sorry to hear about your lenses getting crushed! I'd be pretty upset about that. I'm not sure about your budget but the Canon RF 100 Macro is in stock here: https://www.henrys.com/canon-rf-100mm-f/2.8-l-macro-is-usm/5637213694.p?

Or if you are happy with manual focus then possibly the Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro if you can find it. B&H have one in stock but I'm not sure about their delivery time to Canada.

I've got a pair of Sony Tough 128gb 300mb read / 299mb write for my R7 when it eventually shows up, anyone else using these?
I'm not using them, but I just learned the 300MB read card I have is 90MB write, and the R7 demands more for wildlife. I was thinking about a ProGrade which comes in at 250MB/s write and a little cheaper (particularly with an add'l 15% off), but now I'm thinking a pair of tough cards might suit me given their construction and speed. Glad I saw this.

• Admin
I've got a pair of Sony Tough 128gb 300mb read / 299mb write for my R7 when it eventually shows up, anyone else using these?
I have them, they are normally one of the fastest UHS-II cards that you can buy, but they are a little thicker than other cards and are a tight fit in my R5 and also the R6 and R3 when I tested them. They do loosen up after a while, but I don't know if that's a good thing. They are even a tight fit in Sony cameras. The Kingston Canvas React Plus UHS-II cards are very good for the price, normally only a little slower in-camera than the Sony cards but a lot cheaper. They have performed well in both our R6 In-Camera Memory Card Tests and our R3 In-Camera Memory Card Tests. I'd expect them to perform well in the R7 as well but won't know for sure until I've tried them.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back