Canon R7 R7 Camera Settings for Shooting in JPEG Format?

Clement

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Clement Yang
I currently have an R7/RF100-400/RF 2X teleconverter which I mainly use for amateur bird photography as a means of documentation. I take thousands of photos each time and don't have much time for post-processing, so I shoot in jpeg format only and use FastStone to adjust brightness and crop. I shoot handheld mostly in TV mode with electronic shutter and switch between high and low speeds. ISO is set at 6400 or below. I don't have too much trouble with focusing.

If I don't consider distance, weather, or backlight issues, what camera settings should I use to get sharper, more detailed, natural, and vibrant jpeg photos?

Last edited:
I think you should perhaps reconsider your workflow. It is far easier to get good results at higher ISOs if you shoot RAW and use a modern RAW developer - I highly recommend DXO PureRaw or Photolab. ISO 6400 is no problem on the R7 and feather detail is retained. As you already have the 2x converter, do make sure you are only using it when you really need it, with the lens at extensions that take the full focal length well over 400mm. Shooting RAW, you don’t need to be concerned about the details of picture style, as this is under your control. You can do your post processing quickly by finding your own best settings and making these into a preset, then applying them as a batch. You will also be better able to recover highlights and shadows, and have greater exposure latitude.
If you need better noise reduction for jpegs, consider buying Topaz Denoise, which works very well in reducing noise while retaining detail, especially if you reduce the amount using the sliders.
Thanks for your advice.

I understand very well that shooting in RAW format and post-processing can result in better photo quality, but that's not what I'm currently pursuing.

I hope to maximize the performance of my R7 by setting and produce acceptable image quality by shooting in JPEG format for documentation only.

If you could provide any experience or suggestions for shooting in JPEG format, I would greatly appreciate it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back