Canon R7 R7 + RF100-400 + Tripod?

Woodbadger

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Layton
Has anyone used this combo with a tripod? I am a bit concerned about balance point especially when used in a “ground pod” (low angle) configuration for shooting shorebirds etc.
i have seen the iShoot lens collar and wondered if
1. Anyone has experience with this?
2. You would consider it necessary for the above shooting acenarios?

thanks!

Solution
Can you shoot without it? Sure. I've done it but yeah, the balance is a pain point even if you don't have to worry about mount fatigue.

I use it with my R7 for video when I'm shooting with the R5 and 100-500mm and I attempted using an elongated tripod mount extended under the lens and, unfortunately, the R7's squat body means that the bottom of the lens extends below the flat of the bottom so this didn't work (it does work nominally with the R5). I don't have it, but I think this collar would solve some of the things I've tried to solve with more flexible options, but I believe I may be grabbing one today.

One drawback I see is that you can't rotate to portrait, but for my video purposes that's not an issue.
I would say, NOT speaking from experience....

Since the RF 100-400 doesn't have a tripod collar and is approx. 22.4 oz. / 1.4 lb. / 635g, I assume that weight is not an issue and you should be okay.

This lens is lighter than the RF 24-240 f/4-6.3. I believe it is also lighter than the f/2.8 trinity lenses. A tripod color isn’t necessary. But I do think a third party makes one. Maybe on Amazon?

This lens is lighter than the RF 24-240 f/4-6.3. I believe it is also lighter than the f/2.8 trinity lenses. A tripod color isn’t necessary. But I do think a third party makes one. Maybe on Amazon?
Yes - as I said in OP iShoot makes one - I was just trying to discern whether or not it would be a necessary addition to my kit.

I have the iShoot collar and you should be aware that it does not allow rotation of the collar on the lens. It is fixed in position on the lens. If you have some other way to rotate the camera and lens combination or if you wish to shoot only in horizontal format, it is a fairly nice collar.

Can you shoot without it? Sure. I've done it but yeah, the balance is a pain point even if you don't have to worry about mount fatigue.

I use it with my R7 for video when I'm shooting with the R5 and 100-500mm and I attempted using an elongated tripod mount extended under the lens and, unfortunately, the R7's squat body means that the bottom of the lens extends below the flat of the bottom so this didn't work (it does work nominally with the R5). I don't have it, but I think this collar would solve some of the things I've tried to solve with more flexible options, but I believe I may be grabbing one today.

One drawback I see is that you can't rotate to portrait, but for my video purposes that's not an issue.

Solution

Thanks, Jake! Exactly the info I was looking for. I agree the iShoot isn’t perfect due to the reason you state, but I think it is the best solution.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back