Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
M. Leferfort
Hi

In order to benefit from the maximum speed the R8 can offer, I bought the SDCard Kingston Canvas React Plus 128Gb V90.

Ok, but I'd like to have a second card, less expensive, with more storage ... I won't use the "burst mode", nor the 40 i/s ... it would be for family, street, landscape etc. For a "photography mode" which take time and appreciate the moment (no sports, nor birds nor animals).

Should I go for a V30 or a V60 ?

Do the R8 operate normaly with a V30 SDCard? Or V60 is the minimum?

Thanks

Solution
If you aren't concerned about clearing the buffer as quickly as possible then a V30 UHS-II card will be fine. Here are some figures from our Canon R8 Memory Card Guide where we have tested 24 SD cards in-camera.

RAW Files Captured Before Buffer Hit
Kingston Canvas React Plus V90 UHS-II - 54 RAW images.
Sony SF-M V60 UHS-II - 54RAW images.
Kingston Canvas Go Plus V30 UHS-I - 51 RAW images.

Time to Clear Buffer
Kingston Canvas React Plus V90 UHS-II - 7.41 seconds
Sony SF-M V60 UHS-II - 10.73 seconds
Kingston Canvas Go Plus V30 UHS-I - 15.22 seconds

If you are shooting video then you would need a V60 card minimum to cover all of the video modes that the R8 supports.

You can find our complete guide here...
V30 is fine. I use a UHS I 256 gb card in slot 1 of my R6II. And I still use 40 fps e-shutter and 12 fps mechanical on it no problem.

The most demanding speeds are video from IPB 4k 60 and 1080 at 180fps. And V60 can handle those at IPB light.

We’ve had good luck with PNY over the years. Back of the advanced user guide tells you exactly what speed of cards can handle what stills and video modes.

I specifically went with a v60 card for my second card, because I use the R8 as a cameratrap in my garden at night, taking 4k video. For stills, the V based speed markings are not really applicable, the R8 can use the full UHS-II bandwidth of 300MByte/s, which is far more than the paltry 90Mbyte/s the V90 mark denotes.

I also like getting the pictures of the card quickly, so I look for cards with a 300MByte/s read speed. My primary card is a Sony SF-G 128G card, it is fast and sturdy and has worked perfectly for a few years now. My new secondary card is a Sabrent V60 512GB card, half the speed of the Sony for writing, but it reads just as fast and can store 12 hours of 4k30 IPB-light. It has worked well in the 3 weeks that I've used it.

If you aren't concerned about clearing the buffer as quickly as possible then a V30 UHS-II card will be fine. Here are some figures from our Canon R8 Memory Card Guide where we have tested 24 SD cards in-camera.

Time to Clear Buffer

If you are shooting video then you would need a V60 card minimum to cover all of the video modes that the R8 supports.

You can find our complete guide here:

Solution
I don't take video ... so a V60 card at £28 from Amazon for a 128 GB Integral was good for me. V is for video and means zip in my case despite me having 2 V90 cards for my R5. it is easy to go mad with cards ... and I realised. The V60 was cheap. V30 not to much less but V90 so much more.

Time to Clear Buffer

You can find our complete guide here:
Really useful tests. Helps a lot in choosing cards.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back