PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a recent visit to Raglan Castle, Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about the history of Raglan Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Raglan Castle (Welsh ‘Castell Rhaglan’) was built between the 15th and 17th centuries, and was the luxurious fortified home of the Herbert and, later, Somerset families.

RF-S-RG-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The Great Tower (aka ‘The Yellow Tower of Gwent’) sits outside the castle, protected by a moat and linked by a bridge.

RF-S-RG-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 100

3. The Pitched Stone Court provided a centre for castle services and servants.

RF-S-RG-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

4. The Fountain Court held the apartments with its grand stair and (right) the Great Hall.

RF-S-RG-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

5. Despite a garrison of 800 men and one of the longest sieges of the English Civil War, Raglan Castle fell to parliamentary forces in 1646 and was subsequently destroyed. It is now in the care of CADW.

RF-S-RG-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 200

(Sources: CADW and WIKIPEDIA)

Last edited:
Once again, amazing set, and you picked an absolutely gorgeous day. The blue sky and puffy clouds add the perfect backdrop. I particularly like the BIF on image number 2.

Once again, amazing set, and you picked an absolutely gorgeous day. The blue sky and puffy clouds add the perfect backdrop. I particularly like the BIF on image number 2.
Hi Mike,

Cheers - appreciated!

This visit was made during our recent mid-Wales trip, the weather forecast for which had predicted grim and wet weather for every day. We were delighted to turn up at Raglan and be greeted by the sun.

There were quite a few birds evident - including colourful (and vocal) swallows and buzzards high overhead (Karen got a half-decent shot of one, but at maximum range - and with our Sony RX10 IV... :) ).

It was certainly a fascinating and spectacular place to explore. Happily, there were very few other visitors wandering around while we were there - which made 'people-free photography' somewhat easier.

P&K

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back