PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a recent visit to the ‘Three Castles’ (Welsh ’Try Chastell’), Monmouthshire, Wales.

The castles were built by the Normans in the late 11th century to control Wales’ southern border. Originally of earthwork and timber construction, they were later rebuilt with stone.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop and Topaz Studio 2. B&W 'framed' versions are shown here).

You can find out more about the Three Castles by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. White Castle (Welsh ‘Y Castell Gwyn’) faced hills controlled by Welsh Lords, but never saw any hostile action.

RF-S-3C-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

2. Skenfrith (Welsh ‘Ynysgnwraidd’) Castle was built in a low lying position by the River Monnow to protect crossings on the route to England.

RF-S-3C-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

3. The low lying position made Skenfrith Castle vulnerable to attack from the surrounding hills, so a tower was constructed within to aid in the defence.

RF-S-3C-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

4. St Bridget’s Church, consecrated in 1207, stands alongside Skenfrith Castle. The church's tower was provided for locals to use as a fortified refuge in the event of an attack.

RF-S-3C-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

5. Grosmont (Welsh ‘Y Grysmwnt’) Castle. ‘Gros mont’ is Franch for ‘big hill’ and, having cycled up to it, we can attest to the accuracy of the description... :LOL:

RF-S-3C-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

(Sources: CADW, WIKIPEDIA)

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back