PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Chirk Castle (Welsh ‘Castell y Waun’), Chirk, Wales.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about Chirk Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Built by Roger Mortimer de Chirk, in 1310, it was bought by Sir Thomas Myddelton in 1593 and is now owned by The National Trust.

CHK-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

2. Cromwell Hall, which features a neo-gothic decor designed by AW Pugin (assisted by JG Crace).

CHK-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. The Saloon, neo-classical in style, with the original furniture still in place.

CHK-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 21.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. The 17th century Long Gallery. The room was began in 1670 and completed in 1678.

CHK-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. The King’s Cabinet - a Royal gift to Sir Thomas Myddelton II, an English Civil War general.

CHK-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. Servants Hall. ‘Rules to be observed here’ include ‘That no Servant be guilty of Intermeddling with any other’s Businesses unless requested to assist’... :LOL:

CHK-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 6400

(Sources: National Trust, Visit Wales, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Fascinating as usual. Thanks for the images.

Fascinating as usual. Thanks for the images.
HI Mike,

Our pleasure. This was only a brief visit, made even briefer by the arrival of our old friend Welsh rain as we toured the castle's gardens... :LOL:

P&K

Enjoyed them all, but particularly the interior photographs. The exterior photo comes across to me as a little "tone-choked," obviously my term. But it might be the weather conditions too.

Enjoyed them all, but particularly the interior photographs. The exterior photo comes across to me as a little "tone-choked," obviously my term. But it might be the weather conditions too.
Hi Cemal,

Thank you for your comments and constructive feedback - both are appreciated!

On reviewing the exterior image I agree with you (I've seen this effect before when using DxO Smart Lighting - possibly spot weighting conflicts - and I used it here as part of the initial basic processing *). The weather was pretty grim, with poor lighting and rain falling, but this does not explain - or reflect - the result.

I've revisited this file (we always retain our raw files) and carried out a quick re-edit. A mkII version is provided below, which I think is improved contrast-wise.

Phil

(* Any error was entirely mine, there's nothing inherently wrong with the function. The same principle applies to the original edit as a whole - no excuses!).

RF-S-RE-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

Last edited:
Hi Cemal,

Thank you for your comments and constructive feedback - both are appreciated!

On reviewing the exterior image I agree with you (I've seen this effect before when using DxO Smart Lighting - possibly spot weighting conflicts - and I used it here as part of the initial basic processing *). The weather was pretty grim, with poor lighting and rain falling, but this does not explain - or reflect - the result.

I've revisited this file (we always retain our raw files) and carried out a quick re-edit. A mkII version is provided below, which I think is improved contrast-wise.

Phil

(* Any error was entirely mine, there's nothing inherently wrong with the function. The same principle applies to the original edit as a whole - no excuses!).

View attachment 18429
Yes, you are right, this version is much better.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back