PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from a recent visit to Powis Castle (Welsh ‘Castell Powys’), Welshpool, Powys, Wales. (We used the venue as our ‘Motorway Service Area’ during a journey, so our stay was quite brief - and covered the exterior areas only).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about the history of Powis Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Powis Castle was built in the mid-13th century by Welsh Prince Gruffudd ap Gwenwynwyn.

RF-S-Powis-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

2. As time passed, the castle suffered all the usual 'castle issues' (total destruction, complete rebuilding and various changes of ownership).

RF-S-Powis-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 89.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

3. In 1902 George Herbert (great-grandson of Edward Clive ‘Clive of India’) and his wife, Violet, began to modernise and remodel the castle and gardens.

RF-S-Powis-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 125

4. The ‘golden era’ of the castle was during the Edwardian period, when it hosted many notable guests, including the Prince and Princess of Wales.

RF-S-Powis-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

5. In 1952 the castle, gardens and grounds were bequeathed to the nation, and are now in the care of the National Trust.

RF-S-Powis-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 200

Last edited:
Stunning images as always Phil. We visited a few years back. The gardens are beautiful at this time of year.

Stunning images as always Phil. We visited a few years back. The gardens are beautiful at this time of year.
Hi Tim,

Cheers - much appreciated!

(We rode our luck as it hacked it down with rain just before we got there and again when we were half-way round - but we managed to stay dry! 😅 ).

P&K

Great pix as usual. I like the way that time and Welsh rain has made the angel look as though she’s spilling her yard of ale… 😉

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back