Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Taking my camera and some lenses to a cruise. I never have been in this situation so I’m looking for advices. Planning to take my R7 with RF18-150 and EF70-200.

Boarding recommendations?
Is it save to take a camera with the EF70-200 to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan in Honduras and Costa Maya in Mexico? We are taking the cruise expeditions avoiding anything local.

I would try to make your gear look as inconspicuous as possible. I have not traveled to any of these locations but would say be very ware. Hope you have a good time.

The 70-200 is white and big. That’s the one concerning me.

I would try to make your gear look as inconspicuous as possible. I have not traveled to any of these locations but would say be very ware. Hope you have a good time.
Thanks!

If you're touring in a group and not wandering off alone, especially not into a non-touristy area, then I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. And you'll likely won't be the only one there with a bigger lens. I was recently in another part of Mexico and felt no concern as long as I was with somebody else.

If you're touring in a group and not wandering off alone, especially not into a non-touristy area, then I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. And you'll likely won't be the only one there with a bigger lens. I was recently in another part of Mexico and felt no concern as long as I was with somebody else.
That’s good point.

What about boarding recommendations? Packing?

I would hand carry your gear aboard then you won't have to worry. As long as you are with the official cruise tour companies and don't go off on your own you should be OK. I would never place your gear down and turn your back. A camera strap similar to a black rapid that goes over your neck and shoulder across your chest will provide more security. I suggest you carry your 70-200 in an inconspicuous bag when it isn't in use.

I would hand carry your gear aboard then you won't have to worry. As long as you are with the official cruise tour companies and don't go off on your own you should be OK. I would never place your gear down and turn your back. A camera strap similar to a black rapid that goes over your neck and shoulder across your chest will provide more security. I suggest you carry your 70-200 in an inconspicuous bag when it isn't in use.
Thanks for the tips!

I would pack all your gear in your carry-on bag. Then you can keep it with you at all times, even on the plane. I brought a ThinkTank shoulder bag with me that has quick, easy top zippered access. It also has one of those slip-through luggage slots so you can wheel it on top of a larger suitcase with extended handle. If you're doing a lot of walking or hiking, though, a backpack would certainly be better. You can get those too that would fit within carry-on dimensions.

Also when I was in Mexico, I only had the camera out of the bag when it was time to take a photo/photos. It lived in the bag the rest of the time. That makes a quick-access bag/backpack very useful. And what Ed said: that bag should never leave your side or view.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back