Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
We have recently tested 13 CFexpress cards and 17 UHS-II SD cards in the R5 to find out which cards perform best in camera.

The complete article can be found over on the blog here:

The maximum write speed of some CFexpress Type B cards is up to 1700 MB/s, however during our tests the maximum write speed in the Canon R5 is only around 518 MB/s when shooting RAW + JPEG L and the file sizes specified in our tests.

The top 10 CFexpress Type-B cards all performed extremely well, and although some cards are marginally faster than others, in the field you are unlikely to notice any difference at all.

Our advice would be to purchase whichever card is cheapest at the time of purchase, or whichever brand you feel most comfortable with.

The Angelbird 512GB AV PRO CFexpress 2.0 Type B SE Memory Card is typically the best value per GB and would be our recommended card if we had to pick one for shooting stills or video, since it also works great with 8K RAW and 4K120.

We would avoid the SanDisk Extreme Pro, The Prograde Digital Gold and the Wise Advanced CFexpress Type-B cards since the performance did drop off with these cards, at least with the capacities tested, the larger capacities may perform better.

When it comes to UHS-II cards the speeds do vary a lot more than the CFexpress cards in-camera.

The fastest card is the Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II card, but this can be a tight fit in the R5’s card slot.

We’d recommend going with the Kingston Canvas React Plus UHS-II Memory Card instead. It’s only fractionally slower than the Sony but a lot cheaper. It also slides in and out of the slot without any issues unlike the Sony Tough card.

Please let us know if you found this guide helpful, or if you would like to provide your own feedback on a particular card.

Hi Timothy, and thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Thank you so much for the information, Tim, I will keep it bookmarked for when I have to buy another one.

Tim, thanks for this, interesting that not all CF express cards are equal, I have two Integral cards (one cinematic grade (128GB) and the professional grade (256GB)) no issues with the R5 or with buffering and speed but the 256GB card is faster especially at low iso shots. The SD cards I use are the Lexar 1667x 256GB cards I have three of these not the fastest but not normally used except of trips where I save the CF express for the days I need the speed.

I initially bought a 128GB Sony Tough card which was recommended at the time as being one of the best around but 18 months later and after discovering the delights of video I needed a bigger card. The Angelbird 512GB was recommended by a friend and it was only slightly more expensive than the price I paid for the Sony a year earlier. It might not be quite as fast but it copes with everything I have wanted so far. Exceptional value.
My only "complaint" is that to be able to get the latest firmware updates for the card you have to have an Angelbird card reader.As I already had a Lexar one I wasn't going to buy another but there again, do I need a firmware update?

• Admin
I initially bought a 128GB Sony Tough card which was recommended at the time as being one of the best around but 18 months later and after discovering the delights of video I needed a bigger card. The Angelbird 512GB was recommended by a friend and it was only slightly more expensive than the price I paid for the Sony a year earlier. It might not be quite as fast but it copes with everything I have wanted so far. Exceptional value.
My only "complaint" is that to be able to get the latest firmware updates for the card you have to have an Angelbird card reader.As I already had a Lexar one I wasn't going to buy another but there again, do I need a firmware update?
The Angelbird AV Pro SE 512GB is very good value and certainly fast enough for pretty much anything that you could throw at it. It is a shame that you need their reader to update the firmware though, although if it's working just fine there's probably no need to update anyway. I'm guessing the firmware updates may just resolve any compatibility issues with new cameras.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back