Returning to Canon!!

What made you change? I have a colleague that saw my work and wanted to get into photography. He went the Sony route so I've been reading up and watching some videos about it in order to assist him. I despise the menu system, and frankly, the body looks uncomfortable to hold. I don't understand the appeal...

I got suckered into the mirrorless at the time and they were leading the pack. This was probably five years ago and I regretted it every day. The body doesn’t feel right. The menu sucks. Nothing was intuitive to me. I didn’t love their lenses
now I’m back to Cannon and it feels like home.

Many years ago I borrowed a friend's Sony. Can't remember which one but it was a high end model that all the review sites raved about. I have to agree with what has been said here, the menu system was confusing and not intuitive. The body had such hard edges, I didn't like the feel of it at all. At the time I was shooting with a 5D MkII and a 5Ds, glad I stuck with Canon.

Welcome back to Canon Jon and thank you for joining up here. I also shoot with the Sony A1 and tend to favour it over my R5 especially with the Sigma 500 F5.6 attached. I much prefer the feel of the R5 in my hands though.

Welcome to the forum Jon. While I have always only had Canon dslr, and now mirrorless cameras, I do have a Sony RX-100iii that I really like. From what I have seen in videos, the menu structure of it seems just like the Sony mirrorless cameras and I agree that it isn't as intuitive as Canon's. But, I am sure that if a person has only shot Sony, they would feel that Canons had strange menus as well.

I did use a friends Nikon dslr once and it took me a week or two to recover from the resulting skin rash...... :D

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back