Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Scott A
City/State
Southern California
Recent storms in Southern California have left the local mountains covered in snow. I took this the day after one of the storms passed through. Remaining clouds were still lingering around the mountains. San Bernardino Peak, at 10,649 ft (3,246 m), is one of the tallest mountains in Southern California.

20230111-1703-011 - hdr.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

20230111-1713-081-hdr.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 160.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

A short while later, the setting sun bathed the mountains in bright orange-pink color.

20230111-1805-308.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 800

20230111-1806-313-HDR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 221.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 800

One thing I noticed when shooting was that despite it being very clear to the naked eye, the camera seemed to pick up a lot of haze when shooting. I couldn't really figure out what was going on with the original RAW file. I ended up exporting three copies of the RAW at -1 EV, +1 EV, and 0 EV and merging the files to HDR Pro in Photoshop before processing them through Lightroom. That seemed to bring out more detail and make the image easier to process in Lightroom, while also making it look more like what I saw in person. What's odd about this, though, is that I had taken bracketed shots in camera at the same exposure values and could not get similar results after merging. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this?

20230111-1703-011.jpg
(Out of the camera shot with no adjustments)

Beautiful!

Nothing to add on the post processing, but great pics
It seem I live near by, where were you at when you took these pics?

Mark
Mark_Riker_Revco

Recent storms in Southern California have left the local mountains covered in snow. I took this the day after one of the storms passed through. Remaining clouds were still lingering around the mountains. San Bernardino Peak, at 10,649 ft (3,246 m), is one of the tallest mountains in Southern California.

View attachment 12724
View attachment 12726

A short while later, the setting sun bathed the mountains in bright orange-pink color.

View attachment 12727

View attachment 12728

One thing I noticed when shooting was that despite it being very clear to the naked eye, the camera seemed to pick up a lot of haze when shooting. I couldn't really figure out what was going on with the original RAW file. I ended up exporting three copies of the RAW at -1 EV, +1 EV, and 0 EV and merging the files to HDR Pro in Photoshop before processing them through Lightroom. That seemed to bring out more detail and make the image easier to process in Lightroom, while also making it look more like what I saw in person. What's odd about this, though, is that I had taken bracketed shots in camera at the same exposure values and could not get similar results after merging. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this?

View attachment 12725
(Out of the camera shot with no adjustments)
Beautiful images!!

Nothing to add on the post processing, but great pics
It seem I live near by, where were you at when you took these pics?

Mark
Mark_Riker_Revco
Calimesa, California

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back