Kamoshika

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David
So, about a month ago, I finally resolved a minor annoyance I was having with the AF on my R6M2. With my back button focus arrangement set to "AF On" to trigger "Spot AF" and my "AE Lock" set to "eye detection," I was still having trouble with the spot focus not being a true spot: the AF was moving from from the spot I specifically wanted to focus on because (I finally figured out) the subject to detect was set to something other than "None." So by customizing the Multi-function button and setting it to "Direct select of subject to detect," I now have a very fast and easy way to quickly select "none," and thus, force my spot focus to be a true spot focus.

Anyone else already use this method? Anyway, hope this helps.

At the moment the
With my back button focus arrangement set to "AF On" to trigger "Spot AF" and my "AE Lock" set to "eye detection."

Anyone else already use this method?

Kamoshika…

The 'back buttons' on my R5 are saved as follows in one of my Custom Shooting Modes:

1. AF-ON
    Zone + Continuous
    Birds in Flight

2. AE Lock / Asterisk
    Spot + One Shot
    Focus & Recompose

3. AF Point
    Eye (animal) + Continuous
    Birds on a Stick
This might change — it has before! — because the third button is so far to the right that it difficult to use. I would like to find a way of quickly swapping the AF-On button from Zone to Eye, rather than having to loosen my grip on the camera by using a button way out to the right.

I'm beginning to think that triple-BBF might be more trouble that it's worth!

… David

Last edited:
By customizing the Multi-function button and setting it to "Direct select of subject to detect," I now have a very fast and easy way to quickly select "none," and thus, force my spot focus to be a true spot focus.
I have customised the M-Fn button to jump C1—>C2—>C3 by choosing C in the Customise Buttons menu (orange C.Fn 3).

I'll experiment with your option tomorrow! Thanks for the advice.

Am I correct in assuming that the R5 and R6 are similar in most aspects of BBF setup?

… David

Last edited:
At the moment the

Kamoshika…

The 'back buttons' on my R5 are saved as follows in one of my Custom Shooting Modes:

1. AF-ON
    Zone + Continuous
    Birds in Flight

2. AE Lock / Asterisk
    Spot + One Shot
    Focus & Recompose

3. AF Point
    Eye (animal) + Continuous
    Birds on a Stick
This might change — it has before! — because the third button is so far to the right that it difficult to use. I would like to find a way of quickly swapping the AF-On button from Zone to Eye, rather than having to loosen my grip on the camera by using a button way out to the right.

I'm beginning to think that triple-BBF might be more trouble that it's worth!

… David
Interesting setup. I generally let the eye detection (set to asterisk) do its magic for BIF (and this seems to work even if I have subject to detect set to "none"). So my thumb is finally comfortable switching back and forth quickly. I set my control ring on the 100-500 to change AF area.

I guess at this point, I've become accustom to the setup that change now would be bothersome.

I have customised the M-Fn button to jump C1—>C2—>C3 by choosing C in the Customise Buttons menu (orange C.Fn 3).

I'll experiment with your option tomorrow! Thanks for the advice.

Am I correct in assuming that the R5 and R6 are similar in most aspects of BBF setup?

… David
One would think so, but I don't know. I've only ever had this Canon R6M2.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back