1. Yes
5D78B91F-0839-4FF4-B1CD-9EFB8813BAB6.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 141.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 12800

Was trying to get shots of a wren when this caught my eye. Camera setting were way wrong, I kind of like it but where could it be improved?

Last edited:
exp.compensation +1--1,5 is worth to try

Not much you can do in-camera with lighting like this. Increasing exposure compensation, as mentioned, will likely blow out the lit flowers and definitely parts of the background. Some careful selective editing to bring out the shadowed flowers would improve it. That would involve some careful masking but it could be done.

Thank You Peter and Jake. I will try that.

With high contrast shots, HDR mode sometimes improves outcome. It does make the shot look more flat, but contrast can be later increased in post-processing. I've had a few occasions where it was the only way to not wash out the highlights and retain the shadows. Worth remembering it exists.

Have you thought about a vertical crop to only include the flowers in the light and the tree? It would focus the eye in, and as nice as the other flowers are, they are dark enough to be mostly overlooked but the breadth of the image pulls the eye away towards them before it goes back to the lit portion of the shot.

Have you thought about a vertical crop to only include the flowers in the light and the tree? It would focus the eye in, and as nice as the other flowers are, they are dark enough to be mostly overlooked but the breadth of the image pulls the eye away towards them before it goes back to the lit portion of the shot.
Good idea Hali, except I cannot crop all of the flowers on right hand side out. It still leaves a few dark ones and that looks weird with them hanging into the picture! I should have taken more time to compose but it was a “spur of the moment” shot. Thanks for your insight.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back