Shutter speed selection?? What am I missing?

BobU

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob Ulius
City/State
Northborough, MA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have an R3. Love it.

I often shoot in Fv. Also love it.

I have aperature on the lens rings. Easy and intuitive for me.

ISO easy to access in at least 2 ways.

BUT, when I access shutter and turn the main dial, it starts at 30 seconds and a loooong scroll to get to the places I want to be such as 1/125th or 1/250th, etc.

I do not understand why it does not start at the faster speeds nor anything I can do to change that. The custom setting for reversing the Tv dial simply reverses the direction, not the order of shutter speeds.

Am I missing something?

~Bob

There's likely a menu setting that tells the camera to remember where you left settings when switching modes instead of starting at the beginning again. Counterintuitive that you'd have to turn that on, but I'm guessing that's the case provided you're not going to C1-C3 that's set in Fv. If it's the latter then they remember where they were set when saved and not where you left them.

C1-3 will remeber last setting. FV always starts with AUTO for all settings. Which is fine.

But don't you find it odd that the shutter speed starts at 30 seconds and requires a long scroll to get down to the usable areas of speeds?
for me its counterintuitive. There must be a reason it was decided to operate that way, but makes little sense to me.

I'll post at another forum as well and see what insight I might gain.

OK, just tested all modes. This is only an issue in Fv. So limited to a few cameras. I'll email Canon as to why.

OK, just tested all modes. This is only an issue in Fv. So limited to a few cameras. I'll email Canon as to why.
I noticed that myself. Thanks for looking into it. I'll be interested to hear what Canon says.

ME too :) Surporised they have not replied yet. I'll post when they do.

OK, they replied:

When toggling to the Fv shooting mode and the shooting settings like shutter, aperture, and ISO are set to AUTO, the camera will begin at the far lower end of the scale when taking those settings out from Auto.

Unfortunately, there is not an option that would allow the camera to switch over to a desired setting, like a specific shutter speed, when the setting is moved out from AUTO.

I replied:

Thanks for the reply. But think about this:

Fv – all auto

Select Aperture and dial it and it is the widest setting available on the lens. PERFECT

Select ISO and it is the lowest available, i.e. 100. PERFECT

Select Shutter and move the dial and it is 30 SECONDS. Unusable. When would I ever want that? I might like something from 1/100th to 1/1,000th. But 30 seconds? That is why this makes no sense to me.

I noticed the same thing and thought it bizarre - thanks for following up with Canon and posting. I'll be interested to see what they come back with next.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back