What made you switch to Canon RF mirrorless?

With all the different brands, systems, and formats out there, what made you specifically choose a Canon RF mirrorless camera? I hope this might be insightful to others searching out there and confused by all the choices.

As for my story, I had a Nikon D750 DSLR for 6-1/2 years and then decided to switch to mirrorless. I chose the Canon R6 because I was absolutely SHOCKED at the speed and accuracy of the AF, something that people weren't actually raving about regarding the Nikon Z6 II or Z7 II. Why not Sony? I CANNOT STAND their ergonomics and their bodies are just not comfortable for me to grip.
crappy AF in the Nikon Z6 is main reason. I was missing focus on 25% of my shots with Nikon. Now with Canon my out-of-focus rejects are almost zero!

A beginner rank beginner. Got passion back for a few reasons. After 35yrs.

Storm weather photography my passion then birds and farms and everything that goes on.

Rp was first camera great in lowish light and storms and stills.

Talked to many storm photographers and birders. Storm guys r6 no brainer night and day shots. Birders R5 but R6 second choice this is before the 7 came out.

Chose r6

I've been with Canon since my AE-1 then EOS 5 QD, 20D, 40D, 70D. Wasn't overly impressed by the early R series cameras and was thinking of getting a 90D when the R6 launched. I borrowed an R6 through the Canon scheme and was impressed by the autofocus capabilities (I like shooting birds in flight, my dog on the move) so I bought one. The question now is whether to move to the Mark 2?

From Sony.

For me was the AF features included in a very good price.

I've been a Canon covert going back to my first 20D.

A few years ago I was shooting with a 7D MkII mostly for wildlife and the grandkids' sports and a 5Ds which I mainly used for landscape and portraiture. I had previously added the Canon M system for my first mirrorless adventures and really liked them and owned several models and MF lenses, I still shoot with the M5. The R had been out for a year or so and was having some price drops and I liked the M5 so much I figured the R system would be a logical move. As much as I loved the fine quality of the 5Ds images I found the huge 50+mp files slow in processing and taking up a lot of hard drive space. Also the 5Ds was not designed for speed and low light performance wasn't stellar. So I sold it and picked up a Canon R through CanonPriceWatch with one of their low "street price" deals. As I recall the camera store was in Canada. While the R has some limitations and is not as advanced as the R5 and R6 variations it works fine for me. I now have the R7 which has relegated my 7D MkII to the camera closet for now as a backup or loaner camera. Not much resale value in it I found out.

I mostly used my EF lenses with the adapter at first but over time switched over to RF for several focal lengths, I have 5 of them now.

Like many others, I have a lot of other Canon gear, so compatibility was the BIG factor. Then for me, the sensor size, capabilities and price tag (in that order) of the R6ii made it a slam dunk for me. Now to save my shekels for that F2 zoom lens. ;)

Had to sale my old photo gear to put money into a rental we bought. I had an 5d mkIII, 7D plus 5 "L" Len's. When I finally saved the money back to replace the gear the R5 had just came out and figured that was the future. NO regrets.
Also got the 24-105L and the 100-500L. Next up I want to get the 15-35L and hopefully the 600f4 L.

I had a 6D mk1 and wanted to stay full frame. I had not been pleased with the auto-focus of the 6d or the 7d before it. I wanted more focus points and a touch lcd screen with touch focus...and better performing auto-focus. The Canon EOS R provided all of that. It actually re-energized my desire to do photography. I love it. I know that the newer cameras are better in some ways, but the EOS R is the best camera I have ever owned and I will probably stick with it until I try to do something that it can't handle. So far, it is far ahead of my game.

Oh...and not having to micro-adjust the auto-focus for each lens is wonderful. Best decision photographically I have made in over 30 years.

I have been a Canon user for many years and was very comfortable with my 5D MKIII. Looking for higher resolution and improved autofocus. Tried both the Nikon and Sony cameras at a camera store and decided that their menu systems suc ... were not very intuitive or maybe as consistent as the Canon systems. Also, the ergonomics are best on Canon for me. Many of the lenses and other accessories worked well with the new Canon R series although I have converted most lenses to RF lenses because they are both an exceptionally good improvement and I'm investing in the lenses as much as the camera bodies which will inevitably change. Great lenses, consistent menu system, very good ergonomics, the complete package was more complete and comfortable. I did not see any features in either Nikon or Sony that were so compelling as to make me change.

Like so many here I had read about the r5 but just didn't have the budget and I was shooting with the 1DX and very happy with the results.
I had the Canon 400 f2.8 lens that I had been using for several years, but it weighed in at 13 lbs plus the 1DX and a 2X tele-converter for a total of around 16-17 lbs. I was hand holding this heavy beast most of the time but had a tripod and gimbal mount for those places that I could use it. The images were impressive if I do say so myself. When the r5 came out I was ready for s something lighter and smaller so I ordered one and it was back ordered. While I was waiting someone approached me and wanted to buy my 400 f 2.8 with tripod and gimbal so I sold it. Then I had a dilemma, no long range lens. I didn't have the budget for the r5 and a long lens so I cancelled the camera and bought the sigma 60-600mm f6.3 lens instead. As time went by my 1DX just quit one day and no parts were available to repair it. This is when I made the decision to purchase the r5 a second time and I've not regretted it at all.
I have found the r5 and the 60-600mm Sigma to be a great match up and with a canoe 1.4 converter it comes in at 84-840mm and f6.3-f9 even faster than the RF 600 and 800mm. For now I'm extremely happy with the combination. I'm posting a couple of images taken last week. Thanks for putting up with this long post.

Attachments

• 20230126-_E7A0101.jpg
    20230126-_E7A0101.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230126-_E7A0422.jpg
    20230126-_E7A0422.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230126-_E7A9640.jpg
    20230126-_E7A9640.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230126-_E7A9443.jpg
    20230126-_E7A9443.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 53

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back