What made you switch to Canon RF mirrorless?

I posted earlier on this thread but forgot to talk about IBIS. Just would like to say that I have a few handheld images shooting @ 500mm and a 1/15 exp. Maybe not the sharpest of my images but defiantly usable. IBIS in congestion with lens IS is a BIG winner for me.
I totally agree that IBIS in "conjunction" with the lens IS is a winner. I too use my 100-500mm lens for three-meter shots handheld, and the IBIS and lens IS is a game changers for me. :) (y)

I was already up to my neck in expensive Canon gear so I stayed put. The R5 was the what made me jump in to mirrorless, the initial offerings were not tempting. The jump from the 1DX2 to the R5 was the greatest leap forward in any single new camera purchase since I bought my first DSLR.
I'm not 100% happy, the auto focus struggles to find the target in a confused background..eg bird in a bush....even with single AF point.... where the 1DX nor any of my DSLR's had that problem, I also have had incidences where I have been frustrated by having to switch the camera off when it overheats. I don't have a back up at the moment which is a drawback, overall though as I previously said best upgrade in years. I have just installed the latest firmware so it will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable improvement.
If I was starting out again would I choose Canon? Who knows. I did once swop from Nikon then a few years later regretted it slightly when Nikon were leading the way it appeared. Nowadays I don't have that much gear due to being burgled last summer so if I was to change now would be a good time but I don't have the inclination right now.Happy where I'm at.
Ditto... Nicely put.

I moved from the Lumix G9 M43 system, I was reading too much that M43 was “going away” so I bought into the hype and after much debate I moved to the R5. The move was actually quite easy as the camera layouts are fairly similar as are the menus. What blew me away was the AF I couldn’t believe how fast and accurate it was. With the Lumix I rarely took BIF shots because the AF rarely locked on and I was to new to photography in general that I could never master manually focusing, composing, panning etc. on the G9, it was more spray and pray and I honestly never really got the hang of it. With the R5 and now R7 paired with the 100-500mm, I’m getting much sharper shots every time I shoot wildlife or BIF and far less spraying and praying. I’m very happy with the move and not looking to change anytime soon.

There are features and quality differences that were not available in my EOS Rebel T3 and kit lenses. So I purchased the R and then the R5 a couple years later for the same reason.

I was already up to my neck in expensive Canon gear so I stayed put. The R5 was the what made me jump in to mirrorless, the initial offerings were not tempting. The jump from the 1DX2 to the R5 was the greatest leap forward in any single new camera purchase since I bought my first DSLR.
I'm not 100% happy, the auto focus struggles to find the target in a confused background..eg bird in a bush....even with single AF point.... where the 1DX nor any of my DSLR's had that problem, I also have had incidences where I have been frustrated by having to switch the camera off when it overheats. I don't have a back up at the moment which is a drawback, overall though as I previously said best upgrade in years. I have just installed the latest firmware so it will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable improvement.
If I was starting out again would I choose Canon? Who knows. I did once swop from Nikon then a few years later regretted it slightly when Nikon were leading the way it appeared. Nowadays I don't have that much gear due to being burgled last summer so if I was to change now would be a good time but I don't have the inclination right now.Happy where I'm at.
You don't have a backup? What's wrong with the EF kit you had?

You don't have a backup? What's wrong with the EF kit you had?
I sold my 1DX2 and 5D4 plus a 100-400Mk2 while there was some value in them. 3xEF lenses and a whole load of other gear such as Speedlites were nicely packed in a Gura Gear backpack that were stolen in a burglary. I'm glad that I sold what I did as I wasn't covered by my insurance policy so that would have been a greater hit .
Now all I have left is my R5, the 100-500, the 500mm f4Mk2, 3 TC's and an EF85mm 1.8.
I wouldn't want to go back to a DSLR now, it would be a backward step but I need a back up for big trips just in case something goes wrong. I'm so used to the lightweight R5 and 45mp the alternative mirrorless offerings have no appeal. I prey they bring out something that appeals soon!

I sold my 1DX2 and 5D4 plus a 100-400Mk2 while there was some value in them. 3xEF lenses and a whole load of other gear such as Speedlites were nicely packed in a Gura Gear backpack that were stolen in a burglary. I'm glad that I sold what I did as I wasn't covered by my insurance policy so that would have been a greater hit .
Now all I have left is my R5, the 100-500, the 500mm f4Mk2, 3 TC's and an EF85mm 1.8.
I wouldn't want to go back to a DSLR now, it would be a backward step but I need a back up for big trips just in case something goes wrong. I'm so used to the lightweight R5 and 45mp the alternative mirrorless offerings have no appeal. I prey they bring out something that appeals soon!
Have you looked at the R7 or R8? I was wanting a second body for a while. Recently, my camera store took in a return on a R7 w/18-150. They couldn’t sell it new so I scooped it up as an open box deal. I’m really happy with it as a travel camera and as a backup for photo trips. I’ll probably keep my R5 when the R5II eventually arrives but until then, this R7 will fill the need for a backup, and I hope I never need to use it in that capacity.

Have you looked at the R7 or R8? I was wanting a second body for a while. Recently, my camera store took in a return on a R7 w/18-150. They couldn’t sell it new so I scooped it up as an open box deal. I’m really happy with it as a travel camera and as a backup for photo trips. I’ll probably keep my R5 when the R5II eventually arrives but until then, this R7 will fill the need for a backup, and I hope I never need to use it in that capacity.
Looked but not tempted to be honest.I prefer to wait to improve on what I have and the R7 doesn't fit that bill for me.

Got an R7. I don't rate it despite useful help and advice from forum members. It's a bit of a toy that takes good images if all goes well, which for me it rarely does. Still struggling with a host of features i think are irrelevant and a really inadequate design, with useful stuff that is missing. Canon have got to raise their game on this one.

Some images taken with an R6 I borrowed from the Canon Test Drive scheme in 2021 (using my EF 100-400 Mk2). The focussing capability was far better than my previous 70D and meant that I had a far higher number decent images. I bought an R6 shortly after returning the Test Drive unit.

Attachments

• 4S2A4612 - crop.JPG
    4S2A4612 - crop.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 4S2A4620 - crop.JPG
    4S2A4620 - crop.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 4S2A4628 - crop.JPG
    4S2A4628 - crop.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 4S2A4633 -  crop.JPG
    4S2A4633 - crop.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 4S2A4658 - crop.jpg
    4S2A4658 - crop.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 37
  • 4S2A5216 - crop.JPG
    4S2A5216 - crop.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 45

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back