Followers
Following
Name
Ed
City/State
Ottawa
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Slate-throated Whitestart. Low shutter speed to gain ISO under the forest canopy.

R7_C8084 Slate-throated Whitestart-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 3200

Nice, on my bucket list to go there. Running out of time though ! Did yo go wit ha tour firm or independently, if you don't mind me asking?

Nice, on my bucket list to go there. Running out of time though ! Did yo go wit ha tour firm or independently, if you don't mind me asking?
David, I had an agency organize the Costa Rica itinerary for me. They booked the hotels, transfers (by vehicles), and a few tours.

I usually arrange all these things myself and had been to Costa Rica before, so back in November I started to look at eco lodges to book my own trip. But that soon became way too complicated. It takes a LOT of effort to research each place. Their websites mostly just say how much you will enjoy it instead of providing needed info. So it meant looking at reviews, checking proximity to parks, etc. It got too time-consuming. So I went with Costa Rican Vacations which I had used before. It went great - only one snafu (the hotel had me for 2 nights when it should have been 3) which I was told was the hotel's fault.

If you go, consider visiting three or four different regions, because they will have different birds and other critters.

CR is a small country, but travel times can be long, so allow time for that.

David, I had an agency organize the Costa Rica itinerary for me. They booked the hotels, transfers (by vehicles), and a few tours.

I usually arrange all these things myself and had been to Costa Rica before, so back in November I started to look at eco lodges to book my own trip. But that soon became way too complicated. It takes a LOT of effort to research each place. Their websites mostly just say how much you will enjoy it instead of providing needed info. So it meant looking at reviews, checking proximity to parks, etc. It got too time-consuming. So I went with Costa Rican Vacations which I had used before. It went great - only one snafu (the hotel had me for 2 nights when it should have been 3) which I was told was the hotel's fault.

If you go, consider visiting three or four different regions, because they will have different birds and other critters.

CR is a small country, but travel times can be long, so allow time for that.
Thanks for that info Ed. I was looking at both ways like you but would probably do what you did despite the higher costs. I have travelled widely around the world but never the Americas so have never seen a humming bird in the wild! I wouldn't need rarities as everything would be different from the UK so a lodge with a couple of trips would do. As I'm 74, despite being pretty fit, I woudn't want any strenuous trips really so I would have to ask questions about that side of it.

Thanks for that info Ed. I was looking at both ways like you but would probably do what you did despite the higher costs. I have travelled widely around the world but never the Americas so have never seen a humming bird in the wild! I wouldn't need rarities as everything would be different from the UK so a lodge with a couple of trips would do. As I'm 74, despite being pretty fit, I woudn't want any strenuous trips really so I would have to ask questions about that side of it.
OK, very good. Costa Rica has mountains, so many outings involve elevation. Maybe check your abilities beforehand. Can you do 100 meters? I can do that but it requires time and effort.

OK, very good. Costa Rica has mountains, so many outings involve elevation. Maybe check your abilities beforehand. Can you do 100 meters? I can do that but it requires time and effort.
Yes, can walk a couple of miles, just might trip and fall! Hardest bit is leg room in vehicles - have long legs and two knee replacements which won't bend past 90 deg so mobility a bit restricted, like some theatre seats and back of cars :(

Yes, can walk a couple of miles, just might trip and fall! Hardest bit is leg room in vehicles - have long legs and two knee replacements which won't bend past 90 deg so mobility a bit restricted, like some theatre seats and back of cars :(
Rereading my post - by 100 meters, I meant elevation of 100 meters. When I was there, I walked down a slope to the beach and back. The elevation was 140 m and it was hot. I had to stop and rest more than once, but I made it. Tours can be around 5 km (just a rough estimate) and you are on your feet for several hours.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back