@linton_photo

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ian Linton
I was hanging around a local water wier watching for salmon this afternoon - not many as the water was quite fierce after heavy rain. Started playing around with slow shutter speed verses freezing the water action. I do like silky smooth water but some don't, who likes what? 1/13th verses 1/200
1_13th.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 163.0 mm
  • ƒ/25
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 400
1_200.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 163.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400

I was hanging around a local water wier watching for salmon this afternoon - not many as the water was quite fierce after heavy rain. Started playing around with slow shutter speed verses freezing the water action. I do like silky smooth water but some don't, who likes what? 1/13th verses 1/200View attachment 6791View attachment 6792
Amazing how much more artistic the slow shutter speed shot is … great to see.

I like both of these images. I wonder if the 1/13th image would have more impact if there was a backdrop like the far bank to give it some relativity. Cool shots!

I think it depends on the entire subject. I used to always shoot at 1/20 to blur the water. My wife likes the frozen water effect. Lately I have come to like something in between. Blurred enough to convey motion, but not so blurred that you lose all detail. Here is an example. R5 2022-05-04-2129-Edit.jpg

I like both, but prefer the 1/13th over the 1/200th. The lines help pull the eye in and follow through the the image. In the 1/200th, I feel the eye doesn't have a place to rest. Very nice!

I'm a big fan of shots in the style of your 1/13th example, and am often on the lookout for them. Root beer colors are beautiful, and Fall reflections can be particularly striking.

I think it depends on the entire subject. I used to always shoot at 1/20 to blur the water. My wife likes the frozen water effect. Lately I have come to like something in between. Blurred enough to convey motion, but not so blurred that you lose all detail. Here is an example.View attachment 12180
hey nice waterfall, Iceland I think? here is mine in the winter-edition
5V1A1410.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • EF16-35mm f/2.8L III USM
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 3200

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back