Marty3280

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Martin Scott
Hi All. I have a Canon refurbished R6ii and I'm still getting used to it. Has anyone ever had the shutter button stick and continue to capture shots when you have released it? Is it just a matter of getting used to it (coming from a 5Diii)? Thanks.

I don't know of any setting in which that would be normal other than if focus bracketing is enabled. That basically creates a set of images for focus stacking, and it behaves like that (but always electronic shutter AFAIK). If the shooting stops when you press the button a second time, then it REALLY sounds like focus bracketing.

Can you repeat the problem?

With an empty card take a photo and then evaluate the Metadata and see if there are the same (sticky button) or different (focus bracketing, multiple exposure...et cetera).

Both of my RF bodies have a very clear movement of the shutter button. If the button does not seem to be physically sticking down, I would discount the idea that it is electrically sticking. Not impossible, but I'd look for automated features first. The only one I've messed with is focus bracketing.

Hi. Thanks for all the replies. I moistened a Q-tip with IPA (not a beer, but isopropyl alcohol - sorry, retired chemist) and wiped the shutter button several times. Took the camera outside and shot it for 5 minutes with varying degrees pressure on the shutter and had no problems with sticking. Will be testing it during a game later on this week.

wiped the shutter button several times.
Back in my youth I installed telephone systems and such for businesses. One often complaint was sticky buttons on the dial pad, however IPA was not the best solution (see what I did there?), but rather pencil lead. Of course eating at your desk and and spilling your soda warranted a replacement.

I would never suggest using pencil lead on a camera, but a good IPA over a Stout #2

Hi All. Well, I had to send the R6M2 in for service because of the shutter sticking. The IPA did not work after a while even after repeating it. And it was sticking more often than not in the hockey arena so I wondered whether temperature made it worse. What I did hear from the canon Service Tech was that he had heard of this problem before. That was interesting.

And it was sticking more often than not in the hockey arena
According to the Advance User Guide for the R6 M2 on page 1070:

Operating Environment

Operating temperature:
0-40°C / 32-104°F
Operating humidity: 85% or less

It has been quite sometime since I have been in a ice rink environment, the I never remember the ambient temperature being out of the temperature range. Also, a few weeks back I was out photographing a few pics in 20°F with the R5 and never had an issue, albeit I was only out in the environment for about an hour.

Dean, thanks for replying. The temperature in the arena was definitely above freezing where I was taking pictures. I have never experienced anything like this with the 7D or 5DIII. Here is what was said in the repair summary:

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the product performed according to specifications we were unable to duplicate your concern.Although, we do suggest to shooting in high speed continuous or low speed continuous instead of high speed continuous+ because high speedcontinuous+ will allow you to take images very very quickly so quick that even when taking your finger off the shutter button the camera will still takesome unwanted pictures because it's shooting so fast. The high speed continuous or low speed continuous will still allow you to take serval picturesat a time but it won't be as quick as the high speed continuous+ when shooting. Product functions were confirmed and unit was cleaned and checked,thank you for choosing Canon."

I just wonder if anyone else has experienced this with any of their canon cameras?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back