Tamron lens repair decisions ,,, insurance or pay to repair?

Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
So last week while down sitting on a sandy beach a wave washed up and I was quick to get up but got some sand in my trusty 18-400mm lens. Sounded HORRIBLE when I zoomed it so I sent it to Tamron.

They replied, not under warranty which I knew but it will cost $340 to repair and that is with my Tamron Silver level membership in their program.

So here is the delema. The lens cost me $699. US in 2019 and still sells for that today. I carry full insurance on all my gear so I could make a legitimate claim and get funds to buy a new lens or just pay the fees to fix the lens.

What would you do? Making a claim could raise my annual premium. Not sure if that is worth it.

This is a difficult decision to make as there are too many variables to consider. Assuming that your insurance premium increase is not too large, I would go with a new lens. However, that needs to be tempered by the expected premium increase and its duration (would that increase be perpetual). As I write this I am beginning to change my mind and think that it just might be simpler to pay for the repair. Sorry for pointing out the obvious and making this more difficult.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back