Tripod question for sports photography

tbar23

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor
I recently purchased an RF100-500mm L lens for an upcoming safari trip. I had been thinking of renting it, but decided that it could do double-duty for my son's sporting events and that pushed me to purchase.
This is my first lens with a "foot", and definitely the largest lens I have ever owned.
I'm wondering what people find to be most useful / convenient when shooting sporting events (e.g. lacrosse, football, soccer, etc.)?
I have a pair of relatively inexpensive tripods - one is a Joby RangePod with a ballhead and Arca-swiss mount.
The other one has a pretty cheap pan-and-tilt head with some kind of quick-release and plate, too.

Any advice / suggestions?

I shoot Marching Band Championship shows on the football field. Monopod I think would be a better choice. Constantly on the move up and down the sideline. I would not want to keep setting a tripod. I guess you could keep the 3 legs together making like a monopod, but just seems too bulky to me.

And thoughts on mount? Ballhead or other?

And thoughts on mount? Ballhead or other?
For me a ballhead defeats the purpose of a monopod, which is mainly to keep you operating on a plane. That's mostly horizontal, but depending on your position you may need to tilt up or down so I have just a simple tilt head on mine.

+1 on the tilt head

Thanks, all. So a decent aluminum or carbon monopod. Then something like an arca-Swiss tilt head.
One more Q: I just spent nearly $3k on a lens, so I’m not looking to be penny-wise pound foolish, but I see both monopods and tilt heads that range from a few $10s to $100+. Do you get what you pay for on this stuff?
The Manfrotto head noted above is reasonably priced, but I’d really like to get away from proprietary quick-releases and go to something standard. I already have some Arca-swiss stuff around.

I have an older Manfrotto monopod so not familiar with latest models. I have the 234RC quick release system tilt head and the same quick release on top of the 322RC2 ball head system on my tripod.

Most sports events won't allow tripods on the sidelines for example. Monopod all the way.

Leofoto makes a nice monopod (copy of RRS) and monopod head (copy of the Wimberly) and has a Xmas discount running I think.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back