Richard Clemens

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Richard Clemens
I am using mostly spot focus. I notice when I focus on an object, I also see a lot of green squares moving about in my viewfinder. I did go to the blue menu #6 AF point Disp and disabled that function. I still have a lot of green squares all together showing in my view finder. Those squares are in constant motion. How can I get rid of them?

Solution
Sounds like you have Preview AF active (aka “Continuous AF” in older models). You should disable it. This is a setting that has your camera constantly seeking focus when it’s on. Even when you aren’t hitting any buttons. It’s a battery drain. The green squares tell me you’re in One Shot. So when you hit a focus button, the squares should lock on to something and stop moving.

It’s different than Servo AF, which is for motion but requires a focus button or half press of the shutter. And the squares are blue in Servo AF. Not sure where to find Continuous AF. I do have this set to Servo.
Thank you, I will check for that. I've only had my camera for about a month. Lot to learn even after having the Canon 7D MII.
And from Rudy Winston. Page 2.

“Precise” is not the same as “accurate!”

I have Preview AF set to Disable?
Preview AF and Continuous AF are different. Your R7 does not have Continuous AF. Preview AF factory default is disabled. You may have enabled it. You will see that broken white lined AF square when in Eye Detect AF if it Is enabled. Either way that is not causing your described issue.

I had an R5 and this is from the manual. It has the Continuous AF menu which from factory comes disabled. The R7 does not have this menu.

1.jpg

Again the Page 5 of the R5 manual. It has the "Initial AF Servo AF point for" where I enabled that white broken AF Preview square and used it all of the time. It had other sub menus that became obsolete for Eye Detect AF. They were only useful for DLSR's.

2.jpg

For the R7, R6II, R3 and newer bodes than the R5 Canon dropped the "Initial Servo AF point for" that is in page 5 of the R5 manual. They moved it to page 3, renamed it to Preview AF and got rid of all the sub-menus. You can only enable or disable the white broken lined AF square.

3.jpg

Sounds like you have Preview AF active (aka “Continuous AF” in older models). You should disable it. This is a setting that has your camera constantly seeking focus when it’s on. Even when you aren’t hitting any buttons. It’s a battery drain. The green squares tell me you’re in One Shot. So when you hit a focus button, the squares should lock on to something and stop moving.

It’s different than Servo AF, which is for motion but requires a focus button or half press of the shutter. And the squares are blue in Servo AF.
Personally I really like Preview AF but it is not for everyone. My camera is set to never go to sleep when I'm in the middle of shooting. When I bring the cam from my eye it flips to the LCD and then the LCD shuts off after 5 seconds. IS continues which uses very little battery power for RF lenses continues to run but AF does not. For me it freed up the AF-On for other purposes.

I turn the power and don't have to press any buttons and it finds the eye.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back