What Photography Related Item Have You Bought or Sold This Week?

Not strictly within the last week, so if this were a competition I'd be disqualified, but at the recent Photography Show in Birmingham I bought a Canon Pro-300 printer plus lots of Fotospeed paper, a Spyder Printer calibrator and a Kase filter kit. Oh, and I'm currently waiting for the postie to deliver an Epson V600 scanner. Going to be busy...

Sold a couple of R5 bodies. Was unlucky with the freezing issues and decided to cut my losses while I could get good money. Waiting to see how the canon mirrorless landscape develops before committing to another. In the meantime picked up an iPhone 15 pro max to snap with amongst other things.

Yesterday I bought my first RF lens- the 14-35mm f/4. I’ve had my R5 for a couple of years and I thought I would never part with the spectacular EF 16-35 f4. The software correction that is employed to fix the RF 14-35 was always a sore spot for me when considering this lens. But, I hated leaving those extra couple of mm on the table and did not want to cart around an extra prime.

After doing a ton of research, I finally decided to do it and traded in my EF mount 16-35 f4, 200mm f/2 vs 2, and the first L lens I ever bought - the 24-105 is vs 1, to help pay for it.

I still have some trepidation about the new lens - mainly is it really a full 14mm, or is it closer to 15 or 16mm after all of the lens correction? The problem here is the internet. One reviewer claims it is designed to give a 14mm angle after correction, but the next reviewer or forum poster will disagree. I haven’t had a chance to do my own comparison with a 15mm prime I have, but I did take some test shots with the new lens at 14mm. I must say they look pretty good coming out of DXO prime for RAW conversion.

I just hope that I am getting a wider angle and did not give up my favorite wide angle baby, the EF 16-35 f4.

B&H just had the Benro MeFOTO RoadTrip Pro Aluminum Series 1 tripod on sale for $80 (retail $250), and I had to buy one even though I already have a Vanguard Alta Pro 2. The Benro is lighter but has way more features (including a built-in monopod) and folds out from 15.5" to almost 62". I like the Vanguard, but it's just too bulky to carry around, so I'll keep it for indoor stuff.

Today my new Canon RF 16 mm F2.8 STM was delivered to my door. Looks pretty neat on the R6 MK1 and its really light weight. Now I need to go out and start shooting! What suggestions would you have for me to get the most out of this little gem? I mainly shoot cityscapes and landscapes. Thanks in advance. :)

20240415_153015.jpg
  • SM-A536B
  • 5.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 250

Today my new Canon RF 16 mm F2.8 STM was delivered to my door. Looks pretty neat on the R6 MK1 and its really light weight. Now I need to go out and start shooting! What suggestions would you have for me to get the most out of this little gem? I mainly shoot cityscapes and landscapes. Thanks in advance. :)

View attachment 27628
It’s very good for interiors. PKM-UK’s images from Attingham Hall show some good examples.

I bought the RF 50mm F1.8 from Amazon as they had a good deal a few weeks back. Also got a non Canon lens hood as I was not going to pay their crazy price. I know it's not an L lens but I wanted something nice and light to carry around when I didn't want to lug the heavier gear around. Quite pleased with the results from it though.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back