Pro Member
- Joined
- Feb 19, 2021
- Posts
- 413
- Likes Received
- 332
- Points
- 63
- Name
- Dave Williams
I have,for a long time been concerned at my lack of a back up camera ever since my R5 died on me, fortunately on the last day of my holiday trip.
That has now been replaced by the R5Mk2 which is the best camera I have ever owned bar none and I have owned most of the 1D series models.
I have three big trips coming up in the next 11 months. So I need to buy a back up.
I did have an R7 for a trip to Cost Rica as a back up but sold it when I got home as I wasn't that keen on it probably more about ergonomics than anything else. As it has a fairly low price point I lost very little on it.
Being sensible particularly to the financial aspects which camera and why should I choose one to take with me on my foreign travels along with the only two lenses I now own, the RF100-500 and the 200-800?
The way I see it the choice was down to 3 models, well 4 actually.
R7 £800 pros crop sensor. Cons only takes SD cards
R63 £1700 pros slightly better ISO performance
R52 £2400. Brilliant camera but no gain as I have one
R1 £4000. Better ISO low light performance, possibly better AF performance , Cons weight, having to take another charger and far less pixels to play with although I'm not sure that's as big an issue that people perceive......... and the price of course!
With an eye to the future and potentially something really good coming on the market but needing a short term fix, what would you go for?
That has now been replaced by the R5Mk2 which is the best camera I have ever owned bar none and I have owned most of the 1D series models.
I have three big trips coming up in the next 11 months. So I need to buy a back up.
I did have an R7 for a trip to Cost Rica as a back up but sold it when I got home as I wasn't that keen on it probably more about ergonomics than anything else. As it has a fairly low price point I lost very little on it.
Being sensible particularly to the financial aspects which camera and why should I choose one to take with me on my foreign travels along with the only two lenses I now own, the RF100-500 and the 200-800?
The way I see it the choice was down to 3 models, well 4 actually.
R7 £800 pros crop sensor. Cons only takes SD cards
R63 £1700 pros slightly better ISO performance
R52 £2400. Brilliant camera but no gain as I have one
R1 £4000. Better ISO low light performance, possibly better AF performance , Cons weight, having to take another charger and far less pixels to play with although I'm not sure that's as big an issue that people perceive......... and the price of course!
With an eye to the future and potentially something really good coming on the market but needing a short term fix, what would you go for?