Deals 15% Off Topaz Labs Software Like DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI

I guess a lot depends on how much sharpening you apply. I must admit I hate to see over sharpened images which, in my opinion, some people make the mistake of doing, especially birds.

Topaz has 10 sharpening models in their software. You can pull up 4 at a time and compare. On my calibrated monitor with R5 files, IMHO it does a much better job than photoshop.

I started using the Topaz portfolio recently (pity I missed the extra 15% discount!). I've used Sharpen on several images and have been impressed. I can't compare with Photoshop as I'm not a fan of Adobe's subscription model and have started to use Affinity Photo instead. So far I haven't managed to get the same improvement with Affinity as Topaz Sharpen achieves. I've attached an example - it's not a good photo (taken from a moving car) but I liked the police vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_7424A.jpg
    IMG_7424A.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7424B.jpg
    IMG_7424B.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 71
Here is a test pic shot at ISO 25,600 on the R5. Not meant to be a real photo just a test. Then the pic was run through DxO with Deep Prime, and Topaz Denoise AI, both with their standard settings. Original also included. These were untouched except for the NR. The DxO was RAW decoded in DxO (CR3 sent from LR to PL5), the Topaz was RAW decoded in LR and NR applied using "edit in." Then all three exported from LR as jpeg.

Attachments

• test with no NR.jpg
    test with no NR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • test with TopazNR.jpg
    test with TopazNR.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 67
  • test withDxo.jpg
    test withDxo.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Here is a test pic shot at ISO 25,600 on the R5. Not meant to be a real photo just a test. Then the pic was run through DxO with Deep Prime, and Topaz Denoise AI, both with their standard settings. Original also included. These were untouched except for the NR. The DxO was RAW decoded in DxO (CR3 sent from LR to PL5), the Topaz was RAW decoded in LR and NR applied using "edit in."
There is a noticeable color and saturation difference between the DxO and the LR decoding of the RAW. My typical workflow is: import to LR>Cull> batch send to DxO> back to LR as DNG. Even though Adobe has updated LR, I think DxO PL5 does a better RAW processing. Yes, I can make the LR RAW look like the DxO, but DxO does it from the get.

Here is a test pic shot at ISO 25,600 on the R5. Not meant to be a real photo just a test. Then the pic was run through DxO with Deep Prime, and Topaz Denoise AI, both with their standard settings. Original also included. These were untouched except for the NR. The DxO was RAW decoded in DxO (CR3 sent from LR to PL5), the Topaz was RAW decoded in LR and NR applied using "edit in." Then all three exported from LR as jpeg.
DxO does a realy great job. I have DxO Pure Raw if I need to just apply niose reduction before importing to other image editing software. I also have DxO PL5 if I just want to use a single program. I do agree with RedCobra that DxO RAW processing is better than LR, although now it has camera matching there has been some imorovement

DxO does a realy great job. I have DxO Pure Raw if I need to just apply niose reduction before importing to other image editing software. I also have DxO PL5 if I just want to use a single program. I do agree with RedCobra that DxO RAW processing is better than LR, although now it has camera matching there has been some imorovement
I have configured a preset in PL5 to be the same as Pure RAW. (Optics/Deep Prime). Do you find that going in and out of Pure Raw is faster than just using PL5? I load into LR, cull, batch send to PL5 where the preset is applied, and then batch back to LR as DNG.

I have configured a preset in PL5 to be the same as Pure RAW. (Optics/Deep Prime). Do you find that going in and out of Pure Raw is faster than just using PL5? I load into LR, cull, batch send to PL5 where the preset is applied, and then batch back to LR as DNG.
I can't say I've noticed a time diference in going in and out of PL5. I usually Sort my images in LR and select any that need NR then run through PR into a folder. Then carry out any edits after in LR or Affinity Photo. Sometimes I just go into PL5 if it's just one or two images.
At the moment I'm just assesing several programs, mainly to see if I could ditch the Adobe monthly subscription plan.
However, since LR introduced their new masking I have gone back to using LR more. No doubt though for me that DxO Prime NR takes some beating over other image editing programs I've tried.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back