Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mark Seymour
City/State
Rutland
Hi All

I currently have the EF24-105mm F4L, and got the RF24-105 F4-6.3 as kit lens with my R6. Question is this, is it worth me investing in the RF24-105 f4L or will my EF one do the job just as well (albeit with an adaptor) ?, or is the RF24-105 F4-6.3 good enough?.

i suppose another consideration would be to trade in both and get the RF F4 version.

would appreciate any thoughts

I had an EF 24-105mm f/4L when I was shooting a 7D and 6D and was never really knocked out by it. May have been a bad copy, never compared with others.

On the other hand, the RF version Is fantastic. Very fast focus and great images. Of course, I never used my EF on an R body as I sold it years before the Mirrorless models came out.

Sold my RF version for the 28-70 f/2L, but ended up selling that as well. I expect I will return to the RF 24-105mm f/4L at some point. I decided to go all in on the RF mount with few exceptions

I had an EF 24-105mm f/4L when I was shooting a 7D and 6D and was never really knocked out by it. May have been a bad copy, never compared with others.

On the other hand, the RF version Is fantastic. Very fast focus and great images. Of course, I never used my EF on an R body as I sold it years before the Mirrorless models came out.

Sold my RF version for the 28-70 f/2L, but ended up selling that as well. I expect I will return to the RF 24-105mm f/4L at some point. I decided to go all in on the RF mount with few exceptions
I’m at the point of buying a 28-70f2l just a matter of finding one in stock at the right price. Can I ask why you sold yours? Please don’t feel you need to answer if it was for personal reasons.

I had an EF 24-105 f4 ... and was never 'excited' by the results. I took my RF 24-105 f4 away for a few days and loved the sharpness. It seems to me - and versus my older EF 24-105 f4 to be a far better lens !!

The contrast and sharpness of the newer RF is superb. It didn't stop me getting the RF 24-70 f2.8 but though I love that I have to say the 24-105 seems as sharp if not with slightly more contrast !!

I would love a 28-70 f2 but the size/weight and cost put me off as I carry round the R5 with the 24-70 f2.8 and I do not feel I could do that with the 28-70 f2.

If I were you, try the RF 24-70 f4 and sell the other 2 if you want to get it. It has to be the best value L lens out there and the quality seems top notch in my experience.

I’m at the point of buying a 28-70f2l just a matter of finding one in stock at the right price. Can I ask why you sold yours? Please don’t feel you need to answer if it was for personal reasons.
Pretty much the same reasons as SO8 cited, size/weight/cost.

The 28-70 is a great lens no doubt, but I think better suited to indoor or studio use rather than “walk around”. Having fast primes at 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm made the f/2 of the 28-70 irrelevant for me. Finally, while it ,at not seem like much, I missed the 24mm on the wide end.

Right now I have an RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 and it is a heckuva lens for the price. More of the “consumer” build quality compared to the L lenses but optically it is great. In my opinion it is the best walk around lens available for the R cameras so long as you can live with the variable aperture. The light sensitivity of these cameras makes that easy if you don’t absolutely need shallow DOF and can’t “fake it” in post.

Last edited:
Hi All

I currently have the EF24-105mm F4L, and got the RF24-105 F4-6.3 as kit lens with my R6. Question is this, is it worth me investing in the RF24-105 f4L or will my EF one do the job just as well (albeit with an adaptor) ?, or is the RF24-105 F4-6.3 good enough?.

i suppose another consideration would be to trade in both and get the RF F4 version.

would appreciate any thoughts
In my humble opinion, I would keep the lens you have. I don't see a need four duplication the coverage.

Got fed up trying to find a 28-70f2 in stock. To be honest it’s difficult to find any in stock at present. Hopefully picking up a 24-105 L f4 on Friday. We are going on a bit of a break, travelling early Saturday, so HDEW have kindly allowed me to pick it up Friday, so I have it in time. Hopefully stock levels and availability will improve with time.

I love my 24-105 f4 L lens. Canon is having a tough time keeping up on demand, they just published a list of lens's that they cannot produce qui enough for everybody, good luck.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back