Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
Last November I went on holiday on a Dahabiya down the Nile. I took my R5 plus 24-240 zoom, Canon M6 Mk2 and 3 lenses. First few days used my R5 exclusively soon realised carrying 1.5 kilos plus the associated bag and paraphernalia in 30+ deg heat was not well planned. The remainder of my holiday mostly used the M6 carried in a small bag with 2 lenses, probably less than 1kilo.

As this holiday was about relaxing and seeing the sights, high quality RAW images was not a priority, other than 50 images in RAW the other 1400 were JPG. And another thing, £6000 worth of equipment needs extra insurance, that adds to the holiday cost. While in transit all my gear is carried in one of those heavy duty waterproof case, another big lump of luggage.

Here is the question. When you go on overseas holidays, that are not specifically for a photo shoot, do you take your best equipment, did you regret taking or not taking it?

Last edited:
Last November I went on holiday on a Dahabiya down the Nile. I took my R5 plus 24-240 zoom, Canon M6 Mk2 and 3 lenses. First few days used my R5 exclusively soon realised carrying 1.5 kilos plus the associated bag and paraphernalia in 30+ deg heat was not well planned. The remainder of my holiday mostly used the M6 carried in a small bag with 2 lenses, probably less than 1kilo.

As this holiday was about relaxing and seeing the sights, high quality RAW images was not a priority, other than 50 images in RAW the other 1400 were JPG. And another thing, £6000 worth of equipment needs extra insurance, that adds to the holiday cost. While in transit all my gear is carried in one of those heavy duty waterproof case, another big lump of luggage.

Here is the question. When you go on overseas holidays, that are not specifically for a photo shoot, do you take your best equipment, did you regret taking or not taking it?
I always take my best gear for the situation. The experience is the key reason for traveling for me. Capturing the memories is second . I don’t let fear dictate my choices. I’ve never had a problem domestic or foreign travel.

the m6 ii is a really good camera and you can get great stuff with it. My only issue (not really an issue) with it was, I was adapting ef glass to it. I wasn’t saving any real weight with that body. That said, I would probably regret not taking the best I can. If it was me and wasn’t really planning on a “shoot”. I’d bring my r6 and the best all around lens I have not the full bag.

On the other hand if you think you’re missing out, you’ll have an excuse to go back..

the m6 ii is a really good camera and you can get great stuff with it. My only issue (not really an issue) with it was, I was adapting ef glass to it. I wasn’t saving any real weight with that body. That said, I would probably regret not taking the best I can. If it was me and wasn’t really planning on a “shoot”. I’d bring my r6 and the best all around lens I have not the full bag.

On the other hand if you think you’re missing out, you’ll have an excuse to go back..
Go back 😱. Have you any idea how much it costs to cruse on a dahabiya on the Nile 😃

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back